bio media is it worth it

Sponge IS biomedia.  Biomedia is anything that provides surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow.  Sponge is some of the best biomedia because open cell sponge provides far more available surface area than most ceramic biomedias.  Ceramics theoretically provide more, but in reality the inner layers are minimally accessible to water flow and don’t grow the bacteria we need even if they could get inside between the particles.  The only reason I’ve fairly recently used ceramic biomedia is when I wanted a layer that lets water flow under a mesh layer but over an undergravel filter - the biomedia is essentially my gravel in my scud culture tanks plus holding the mesh layer down and the bioballs down and keeping the live oak leaves out of the bioballs and rings.  The goal was to still allow the water (and scuds) to flow out of the tap at the bottom of the jar.

I can see it being useful for certain things but if I want a really good biomedia it’s sponge.  I’ve gotten matten filters as substrate over undergravel filters in 5 tanks so far.  Planning to eventually do more.

IMG_3344.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I find keeping some matrix/siporax handy because whenever I need to setup a new HOB all I have to do is grab a handful of media and add in in the new HOB basket. 

Im keeping one with mainly sponge but transferring sponge by cutting a piece to transfer was not fun. Not something I would like to prefer again

but sure both options did work for me. But Id rather get matrix/siporax on top of sponge+filterwool layer myself

• Like 1

It’s all about the pros and cons. I think a pro of biomedia is that it doesn’t do mechanical filtration. So if you have say fine foam or floss AND ceramic, you can discard and replace the polishing media (ie toss it instead of cleaning it), but your bb colonies remain intact and healthy. But as others have said it’s very contextual; not everyone or every tank requires that. 

But saying biomedia is all useless all the time, or that bacteria “prefers” sponge over all biomedia types is rubbish. Though, it generates exactly the desired response/discussion, so there’s that. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2023 at 9:24 AM, TOtrees said:

It’s all about the pros and cons. I think a pro of biomedia is that it doesn’t do mechanical filtration. So if you have say fine foam or floss AND ceramic, you can discard and replace the polishing media (ie toss it instead of cleaning it), but your bb colonies remain intact and healthy. But as others have said it’s very contextual; not everyone or every tank requires that. 

But saying biomedia is all useless all the time, or that bacteria “prefers” sponge over all biomedia types is rubbish. Though, it generates exactly the desired response/discussion, so there’s that. 

I agree. I use bio media for two main reasons: 1) I can rinse my sponges under high pressure tap water, cleaning them thoroughly, without caring about the bacteria in them. 2) Over time the sponges break down from either me wringing them out when cleaning or, In some cases just getting compressed in my canister filter. I can just chunk the old ones willy nilly and replace them with fresh, effective ones again with complete disregard for the bacteria I'm murdering. As always, you do you.

• Like 1

@Lennie, if you have two sponges, you can just move one over to your new tank.

And @TheBlueBeetle, if both your sponges and rings have bacteria, isn't cleaning the sponges out with pressurized water similar to boiling half your biorings?

@TOtrees here is one of the videos I found during my research into bimedia. In it a study is discussed where scientists measured the amount of bacteria found in each media type and found it liked fine sponge best, and course sponge second best tied with ceramic. Therefore, the statement that "bacteria prefers sponge over all bimedia is just rubbish" is in and of itself, rubbish

Edited by murphy lover 101
  • Like 1