I have a long 20 gallon tank with 3 dwarf frogs; will the USB Nano Air Pump be able to sufficiently filter it on its own? I purchased the pump originally for my 10 gal with the nano sponge, but due to many factors, did not use it for that tank. If it is able to filter the tank sufficiently, should I get a different sized sponge than the nano? If so, what sizes of sponge is the nano compatible with?

On 7/31/2023 at 4:20 AM, Thundercracker said:

I have a long 20 gallon tank with 3 dwarf frogs; will the USB Nano Air Pump be able to sufficiently filter it on its own? I purchased the pump originally for my 10 gal with the nano sponge, but due to many factors, did not use it for that tank. If it is able to filter the tank sufficiently, should I get a different sized sponge than the nano? If so, what sizes of sponge is the nano compatible with?

It should be fine but the nano pumps didn’t work for me long term. They kept crapping out after a couple weeks. I think they’re more for temporary usage or traveling. I use the normal coop pump instead and it’s much better 

@MattyM The regular ACO pump is just as quiet if not quieter and will be easily able to be used on any sized aquarium. Plus the battery backup if you ever have a power outage. If needed for travel you don’t need to plug it in. I’m not saying you should buy one, but next time you’re about to drop some money on a nano pump, do yourself a favor and get the regular pump, it’s a night and day difference. 

On 7/31/2023 at 12:45 PM, mynameisnobody said:

The regular ACO pump is just as quiet if not quieter and will be easily able to be used on any sized aquarium.

I have one. It is not quiet 😐 - maybe the new ones are better. 

On 7/31/2023 at 5:14 PM, Gwallace said:

Maybe I am just over cautious but I would use the next size up sponge filter

Not a bad idea. I have several size small ACO sponge filters, one of which is the only filtration in a 20 long blackwater tank. 

I love the nano usb pumps, but I agree with everyone else that they tend to not last long. It’s their biggest downside in my opinion! You definitely want to keep a back up on hand, and if you’re gonna spend money on an air pump I agree that the ACO battery back up pump is an excellent investment. 

Setting any air pump on a folded up hand towel can make a huge difference in the amount of noise it makes. All my nano usb air pumps are hung from the carabiner, and all other air pumps sit on a folded up hand towel and my 14 tanks are mostly silent.