Favorite tacos?

Maximus

I stop at a local convenience store for breakfast every morning.  They stay so busy that they have at least four, and sometimes five, people making and serving food.  Everything is homemade, including the tortillas.

I think my favorite is half beef fajita and half huevos y papas (eggs with potatoes), with refried beans and their tomatillo based salsa.

• Like 2

Love a solid baja fish taco.

Unfortunately up here in Canadia we don’t have the Mexican/Latin diaspora that is in the US, at least not the same extent. Mexican restaurants can be found, and some are good/authentic, but they’re few and far between outside of a few locales. Taco stands and convenience stores restaurants just aren’t a thing. That’s the style I love, and will go out of my way for when I’m near one. 

In short, I’m jealous. 🙂

• Like 2

On 7/7/2023 at 7:58 AM, TOtrees said:

Love a solid baja fish taco.

Unfortunately up here in Canadia we don’t have the Mexican/Latin diaspora that is in the US, at least not the same extent. Mexican restaurants can be found, and some are good/authentic, but they’re few and far between outside of a few locales. Taco stands and convenience stores restaurants just aren’t a thing. That’s the style I love, and will go out of my way for when I’m near one. 

In short, I’m jealous. 🙂

About 25 years ago when I was working in North Dakota a local took me to a Mexican restaurant in Bismarck.  I guess for people who never had the real thing it was okay, but I thought it had about as much flavor as plain boiled potatoes.

• Like 1

We make tacos here too at home, some like shrimp tacos with some lettuce or cabbage salad, some good dressing like chipotle bbq mayonaise. I tried fish tacos with mango, but I didnt choose the correct fish I presume, so wasnt a big blast. Otherwise we do minced beef of some sort, but it is hard. Only wheat flour tortillas, have to improvise with most ingredients. I am afraid to ever try authentic somewhere, cause then I wouldnt be able to stomach the ones we can make 🙂

You can do a way better burrito with less authentic, but tacos you just cant fake. So sad

(I am from middle of europe, just in case you are wondering)

• Like 3

I’ve not found tacos to rival making my own. Years ago when I was young and had energy to burn I would make my own soft and hard corn shells from scratch. I know, I know no such thing as a soft taco 😝

I either sliced avacado or mashed it up fresh for each taco. The tomato topping I would purée fresh tomato, cilantro and onion from my garden. Season with only salt, pepper and lime. Topped with finely chopped lettuce, cabbage or brussel sprouts or radishes from the garden. 
Either asadero, Oaxaca, or cotija cheese. (Spelling???)
Living in Las Vegas I knew some women who showed me all different heirloom seasoning recipes for chicken, fish shrimp or beef to place in the taco. Of course I did not get the joy of home grown produce until I returned to PA. It makes all the difference in the richness of the flavors. 
One year I was given some fresh horseradish. I ground it into the tomato topping with shrimp and used red cabbage and radish topping. I think those were my all time favorite tacos. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 9:52 AM, Guppysnail said:

. . . Topped with finely chopped lettuce, cabbage or brussel sprouts or radishes from the garden. 

Either asadero, Oaxaca, or cotija cheese. (Spelling???)
Living in Las Vegas I knew some women who showed me all different heirloom seasoning recipes for chicken, fish shrimp or beef to place in the taco. Of course I did not get the joy of home grown produce until I returned to PA. It makes all the difference in the richness of the flavors. 
One year I was given some fresh horseradish. I ground it into the tomato topping with shrimp and used red cabbage and radish topping. I think those were my all time favorite tacos. 

It may not be "authentic," but I like putting some fresh spinach on them instead of lettuce.

• Love 1

I've really come to embrace the less is more philosophy. rather than load up the tacos with a ton of ingredients and toppings, go with meat (or your sub), a crunch (onion, slaw or lettuce), cilantro and lime. Pico or salsa in addition to or instead of the above, per your preference. Soft corn tortilla, always. Guac or avo is good, if it's in season. If doing slaw for your crunch, toss lightly in a creamy dressing. 

For homemade fish tacos, I appreciate the frozen battered fish sticks. Not saying they're better than fresh, but the amount that they're easy is bigger than the benefit of doing fresh, esp if you're not set up for deep frying. 

Oh and home-made quick-pickled red onions for the win!!!!

om. drooling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m spoiled for good food here in Seattle. 

Tacos de Birria with a well made consome is #1. The experience of beautifully cooked beef, the melty crispy cheese and then doubling down with the flavor and spice again with the dip into the consome. Wow! I’m hungry and I just ate lunch!

Al Pastor is #2, I make and freeze my Al pastor marinade but going to a good shop with a spit is a true experience when done right. First time having it properly done was on a patio of a restaurant in Baltimore in summer. Great food memory. 

Adobada or tacos adobo is definitely a close 3rd. There’s some magic in the right spice blend.  This was my go to order for a decade at about 3 shops in my area where I grew up. Also an awesome burrito choice. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 1:07 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’m spoiled for good food here in Seattle. 

Tacos de Birria with a well made consome is #1. The experience of beautifully cooked beef, the melty crispy cheese and then doubling down with the flavor and spice again with the dip into the consome. Wow! I’m hungry and I just ate lunch!

Al Pastor is #2, I make and freeze my Al pastor marinade but going to a good shop with a spit is a true experience when done right. First time having it properly done was on a patio of a restaurant in Baltimore in summer. Great food memory. 

Adobada or tacos adobo is definitely a close 3rd. There’s some magic in the right spice blend.  This was my go to order for a decade at about 3 shops in my area where I grew up. Also an awesome burrito choice. 

I'm up in Everett, but definitely want to hear your favorite spots! I haven't had solid tacos de birria in a long time.

Edited by Maximus
  • Love 1

There’s a Honduran place in Edmonds in the lot where aquarium coop is that does amazing food! La Casa De Amigos is the name. They don’t do the birria every day from my memory but it’s been there 50% of the weekends I’ve gone. 
Distant 2nds are Taqueria el Sabor and el gallo diaz. 
In Seattle proper I’ve had Carmelo’s tacos but not their birria. Think I had Al pastor. 
There was a cart in Bend OR with a Oaxacan family that was amazing but they moved away. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 9:28 AM, beastie said:

(I am from middle of europe, just in case you are wondering)

Get an authentic mexican cooking book . Just have spices and condiments on the ready . I like flour tortillas  with just the ortega taco kit . Add sour cream and guacamole , bada bing . Some real seasoned beef or chicken is real nice if ya have time for it .

On 8/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, Jackson said:

Get an authentic mexican cooking book . Just have spices and condiments on the ready . I like flour tortillas  with just the ortega taco kit . Add sour cream and guacamole , bada bing . Some real seasoned beef or chicken is real nice if ya have time for it .

They're a little harder to find, but I like tortillas made with a mix of flour and corn.  Their flavor is similar to corn tortillas, but the consistency is more like flour tortillas (they don't break and tear as easily as corn tortillas).

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 12:29 PM, JettsPapa said:

They're a little harder to find, but I like tortillas made with a mix of flour and corn.  Their flavor is similar to corn tortillas, but the consistency is more like flour tortillas (they don't break and tear as easily as corn tortillas).

Where do you find such a mix ? Flour corn mix sounds good into a soft shell .

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 5:50 PM, Jackson said:

Where do you find such a mix ? Flour corn mix sounds good into a soft shell .

I get them at HEB (a grocery chain based in San Antonio; with most of their stores in the eastern half of Texas), but I'd think they'd be available in other places.

• Like 1