Betta lump on face, trouble eating, lethargic

sharkboxed

So Kiyoshi has gotten lethargic lately, and it came about when he got a lump on his face and a broken scale in his middle. I don’t know what to do, he barely eats and I’m pretty sure he’s losing weight because he’s stopped trying to eat. I only have one week left before I leave for 4 weeks, of which I’m leaving an autofeeder and will not be able to hand feed him like I am now. All day he just lays on the bottom of the tank, so much so I moved him to a breeder box so he wouldn’t have to struggle as much. I put in a floater with him and he lays on top of it so a bit of his body sticks out of the water. 
All of his fins look a bit ragged too, like he’s been nibbling on them at the edges.

Anyone know what this is? 
IMG_7936.jpeg.6a71fb0e445e08bebd6d9825651d9163.jpegIMG_7843.jpeg.fbf8ce945af81eb71095a95d4a25d02d.jpegIMG_7844.jpeg.a16c9306d5e105997f5fe197b5eadea0.jpegIMG_7837.jpeg.c6c1ead6390aea279e824a1055bb57c8.jpegIMG_7935.jpeg.a1a51a61f548da2a1399598129a60a13.jpeg

and this is what he does all day lately: ignore all the stuff around, some are flakes from the previous day, some are daphnia from that day.

IMG_7928.jpeg.4ffa9a790448db23f24d50392ddf17ee.jpeg

Aww I'm so sorry. That's either some sort of injury or a tumor I think. If it's an injury he may have an infection causing swelling and due to where it is probably causing him issues with eating.

If it's a tumor there really is no helping him. 

Ragged fins could be an indication of a bacterial infection which could be what's causing swelling. AND/OR he's tail biting due to stress. I might dose his tank with a med that has anti-bacterial properties or in the abscense of that dosing his tank with aquarium salt to help. 

I would try to get him to eat ANYTHING. When a Betta of mine won't take a bloodworm then I know there is an issue. When  Betta stops eating this is definitely cause for concern. Tagging others for help @Odd Duck @Colu

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

Unfortunately this is either an abscess/granuloma - infection, or a tumor and tumor is more likely.  Bettas are a bit prone to tumors, probably because of too much inbreeding to fix colors or fin types.  Worst in lines of koi bettas that go through such dramatic color changes over their life and those that get “armor” like dragon scale, aliens, etc.

If it is infection you might get lucky with Maracyn-2 since that’s absorbed into the tissue from the GI tract even when it’s in the water.  It has a decent chance of penetration into an abscess.  If it’s a tumor, there’s virtually no chance of fixing it at that location, even if you could find a veterinarian to do the surgery.  It would affect the jaw too much and destroy any quality of life he might still have.  I’m sorry, but I don’t have much hope for your little guy if he can’t eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX @Odd Duck 

I’ve tried feeding him everything I got, from bloodworms to daphnia to his favorite flakes. He just eats one and lays around all day depressed.. every time I tried to feed him I have to basically hand feed him and bother him until he finally eats.. hasn’t worked lately though, I’ve only seen him eat a single flake yesterday, and it was a tiny piece.

Should I move him to a hospital tank with antibacterial meds for a bit or just euthanize him now? I can’t keep him in the hospital tank for long as I’m leaving the 27th for 4 weeks and was supposed to leave the tank with an autofeeder and my mother would come over one weekend to do a 50% water change. I don’t want to euthanize him if there’s hope for recovery though, but I don’t know if I have a choice if by not euthanizing him could either kill the rest of the stock along with him, or if it just prolongs his death so he starves instead. 

• Sad 1

I personally can't direct you as I am not in your position. Being able to see what's going on with the fish and your gut feelings has a lot to do with this decision. You have 10 days before you leave. If you personally feel he might have a chance, move him and treat with the meds. Continue trying to feed him. I have a feeling you will know quickly what direction you'd need to continue with. I'm very sorry for your predicament. ☹️

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 3

I agree with @xXInkedPhoenixX.  I would try the meds just in case the swelling responds to treatment.  If he isn’t responding within 7 days it likely isn’t going to respond, then I would euthanize before leaving on the trip.  If he worsens at any time, I would probably euthanize sooner.  I’m so sorry you’re having to face such a tough decision and either way is not wrong with what I have to consider is a poor to grave prognosis.

• Like 3

@xXInkedPhoenixX @Odd Duck

Thank you, unfortunately he passed away yesterday.
I had set up a 10,6L bucket and put in some antibacterial meds to treat him with, but unfortunately he passed during the night. 
I’m glad he’s no longer suffering though, and glad I can rest easy knowing my other fish will be safe during my 4 week trip. Thank you for the help though, glad I got a reason for his passing 🙂

• Sad 3