FLFishChik’s Pea Puffer Journal

They are struggling. One will pluck at the end of a bloodworm, but not actually eat it. Shows interest in snails and will pick at them, but I’m not sure their actually eating them. Bellies are still pinched. I keep hoping they’ll turn around

On 6/12/2023 at 6:12 AM, Jennifer V said:

How are they doing? 

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well, sadly, I have lost another Bean. I have just 1 remaining and he isn’t eating. Picks up a bloodworm, but then drops it and loses interest. Last night I dropped several crushed snails into the tank and though he picked at it, he didn’t fill his little belly like I was so hoping he would. 

I have lost hope for this little guy. I will continue to offer food throughout the day, but he is so skinny that I think it’s really wishful thinking and a lost cause. I expect he will most likely pass by the weekend.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Sad 4

I'm sorry for all of your struggles. I had a very, very similar experience and it was a tank that lasted a little under a week. The snails.... Oh the snails..... lasted a bit longer.

There is a big * when I see them listed as a beginner fish or an easy fish due to not needing the beak trimmed.  They are very fussy and in terms of personality it's tough sometimes.

I hope for success if you ever try them again, but I understand exactly what you're going through.  I'm sorry.  Try to hold your chin up and do what you can.  It's one of the most intimidating fish for me now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As @nabokovfan87 mentioned, peas are touted as an easy fish because of lack of trimming. I made the mistake of getting them as my very first fish ever and boy was I lucky but it's very hard even after two and a half years of having them. I just lost one and it broke my heart. She just stopped eating one day and was gone the next. So I know what you're going through to an extent. As I said before, I hope you try again. Now you know what to look for and you'll do great with the next batch. Sending you good fishy vibes! 🐡 

• Like 3

On 6/13/2023 at 5:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There is a big * when I see them listed as a beginner fish or an easy fish due to not needing the beak trimmed.  They are very fussy and in terms of personality it's tough sometimes.

Yes, to this.  It makes me a little crazy they get sold as easy fish when they are anything BUT easy.  Complex personally and can be very challenging sorting out their interactions.  Complex to feed, complex to deworm, etc, etc.  Soooooo NOT easy fish.  Unless you’re experienced enough to keep multiple sources of live foods on hand at all times, have plenty of experience with fish behavior, and understand what a shoal is and isn’t, then you really shouldn’t get pea puffers.  I think even after almost 3 years having them, raising a couple groups and then raising babies, that I still suck at keeping them or I would be supplying my LFS which was one of my original goals for keeping them.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 1:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, to this.  It makes me a little crazy they get sold as easy fish when they are anything BUT easy.  Complex personally and can be very challenging sorting out their interactions.  Complex to feed, complex to deworm, etc, etc.  Soooooo NOT easy fish.  Unless you’re experienced enough to keep multiple sources of live foods on hand at all times, have plenty of experience with fish behavior, and understand what a shoal is and isn’t, then you really shouldn’t get pea puffers.  I think even after almost 3 years having them, raising a couple groups and then raising babies, that I still suck at keeping them or I would be supplying my LFS which was one of my original goals for keeping them.

It’s going to be quite some time before I venture into Pea Puffers again. I need more research and preparation. It’s only fair to the little creatures to give them the best start possible 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I have a sad update. The last 2 days, Noodle did not come speeding up to the front of the tank during feeding time. It was more like meandering to the front, not in a hurry to eat. He did eventually eat, but not much, then meandered off back to his little hideaway in his chosen corner of the tank. I was concerned, but he seemed to still be active and was still eating, if  not as voraciously as before. Then, this morning, I came out to feed the tank and there he was, lying on the substrate motionless at the front of the tank. I tried to scoop him up with a shrimp net and he did try to swim, but it was very erratic and wonky. I managed to get him in the shrimp net and dropped a smushed snail in to see if he would at least eat a little bit while undisturbed. He did not. He seemed to not even notice the snail right in front of his little face.so I gently lowered the shrimp net back into the water to see if he might swim out. I don't know what I was hoping for, but sadly a few moments later, he passed. The last survivor of my ill fated foray into Pea Puffer keeping.

I am not sure what happened. He seemed to be doing fantastic - eating normally, gaining weight, would greet me at the front of the tank each day when it was time to feed. It seemed like this happened very rapidly without signs of anything being wrong... or at least that I could tell.

I do so appreciate everyone's help as I went through this saga. A special shout out to @Odd Duck for all the deworming instruction - so much valuable info that I will definitely use in the future. @Guppysnail for the advice on breeding worms, @rockfisher for the Snail start I needed to get a breeding colony going... and to @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, @nabokovfan87 and @Jennifer V for being the cheerleaders and emotional support group for me. You all are an amazing group of fellow hobbyists and such a fantastic source for help and support!

It will be quite some time before I venture into Pea Puffers again. I think I need more research, a better quarantine plan and a little distance from this setback before trying again. For now --- I have a THRIVING colony of Ramshorn snails and a over abundance of Bladder snails. I think I'll keep them... they kinda grew on me.

• Sad 4

Oh man... what a mystery.  Heartbreaking.  I noticed that other hobbyists have had a similar experience with pea puffers. These little ones had the best caretaker though!  It just seems they are a difficult species to keep. I'm sorry for your loss @FLFishChik 

Also thanks for keeping us updated along the way.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1