Discussion of LARGE tanks: It's happening! 196 gallon custom glass tank....

On 5/29/2024 at 9:28 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

a room divider, a wall even!

I am WHEEZING at this and I don’t even know why😂😂😂when in doubt just throw a giant tank in your living room and bam, you got yourself a wall! Home renovation made easier!

That is SO incredible though! A beastly tank but an epic beastly tank! Seems like the start of a new era for you!👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2024 at 11:28 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Do we NEED to add one (value) somewhere and where..... seems like we probably should to control flow into the sump.

Yes, you should add a gate valve. Where is your overflow box and tubing/pipes? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 9:24 AM, EricksonAquatics said:

am WHEEZING at this and I don’t even know why😂😂😂when in doubt just throw a giant tank in your living room and bam, you got yourself a wall! Home renovation made easier!

Hahaha! Yea but not that much less expensive to add this wall! Prettier though. Thanks! 

On 5/29/2024 at 10:28 AM, aminowrimo said:

Wow!

Thanks! And welcome to the forum! 

On 5/29/2024 at 2:46 PM, madmark285 said:

overflow box

There is no overflow box, just the tubes at the top of the tank down to the sump. I see Custom Aquarium offers one as an add on. Intrepid Partner skipped it if he was even offered it at the time- and I say that because he probably had no idea what it was, and frankly neither did I until this last weekend when we went a little more in depth. I'm not even sure, with our configuration being super tight that their overflow box is even an option. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 5:55 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'm not even sure, with our configuration being super tight that their overflow box is even an option. 

My apologies if I am getting overbearing with advice but, you need an overflow box. Without an overflow box, you have to keep the water level in your sump and in your tank low. If you want a second opinion, go to a reef forum and post the picture of your tank/sump. Those guys are the experts on sumps.

The first option would be a 2 box system similar to this: 

overflow-box-eshopps.jpg.b46e52f9163b68e5827eb67ca6b68606.jpg

Note: For a Herbie drain system, you only need 2 bottom drains. If you need a custom box to fit your space and with no pre-drilled holes, this guy on ebay will make you one:

custom-overflow.jpg.847b1e5cddc24d2e38954427d5968216.jpg

This option would still need a second box for the back of the tank, he should be able to make you one.

The second option would only require an overflow box inside your tank, I did this on my 75 gallon tank show below:

20210308_102914.jpg.108228b1951e324056d3e3c60c13b079.jpg

So the white piece of pipe you see inside the overflow box is the emergency drain for the herbie system. Note: the pipe with a clamp on it are the water return lines. Below is the other side of the overflow box:

20210308_102951.jpg.665b85202d85879421dee3be2a69ba40.jpg

There is no pipe inside the overflow box , the thru hull fitting on this side is the main siphon drain which has the gate value on it.

You and Intrepid Partner have built a 5-star showcase system, I would do the drain system right. You don't want some gurgling monster right behind the sofa. 

My 75 gallon tank is empty and has similar holes that you have. For the second option, I can do a mock up of the plumbing and send you a picture to help out. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 8:02 AM, madmark285 said:

My apologies if I am getting overbearing with advice

Not at all, no matter what we do in the end with this tank, this kind of discussion helps others when they're looking for answers. 

So Intrepid Partner and I will have to discuss this all further at some point (we're both ridiculously busy people so having in person conversations usually happen on the weekends) but I texted with him briefly about the subject that this sort of thing was strongly suggested by the forum. He then called CA to consult with them, he then texted me back:

image000000(169).jpg.88739d062bd27615bda7f9046e1f613f.jpg

Now as we all know the point of most of this back and forth is BECAUSE of sound. We did look at the holes and the narrow configuration with the equipment we have to run the tank. It's REALLY tight in there. I don't think an overflow box IN the tank would be our option. As you @madmark285 pointed out there are people willing to custom make a box on eBay, I think Intrepid Partner might have missed this point so it is still an apparent option. But, I'm getting the impression that IP would still like to try it as is. He is going to build an end cap unit that may help muffle the noise off the back of the tank and down the side as well so maybe that's part of his thought process as well. Plus he's just really busy. To be continued! 

On 5/29/2024 at 5:55 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'm not even sure, with our configuration being super tight that their overflow box is even an option. 

Just to be clear when I say you need an overflow box, below is CA version of an overflow box:

custom_aquariums_h2overflow_assembly.jpg.dfcec32845e0a3a98d3fae7162314421.jpg

Do you have two of these? I think setting it up and see what happens is an excellent idea. 

On 5/31/2024 at 9:48 AM, madmark285 said:

Do you have two of these?

Ahh, yes we have 2 of those. 

For some reason I assumed you knew that but were still recommending the box on the outside of the tank. To be fair even CA says their box (Stealth box they call it) is for the noise issue.

• Like 1

I read your comment "There is no overflow box, just the tubes at the top of the tank down to the sump. " which got me very confused. 

If using 1 1/2" pipe/tubing, that may help reduce the noise. My gurgling monster was 1" PVC pipe with ~400 gph water flow. But no worries, you can add a custom Stealth box if too noisy.

Good luck!!  It is an amazing setup.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@madmark285 ah well sorry we're getting caught up in the name game (also remember I'm extremely green when it comes to sump stuff, a box to me is a different thing than what we have from the company), since Custom Aquariums calls theirs H20 Overflow I still thought a BOX would also be appropriate/prudent! And yes, the tubing is 1.5" (CA's tubing they send with tanks, seems like nice stuff)

🙄
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 6:11 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

well sorry we're getting caught up in the name game

No worries from me. Sumps are complicated, I wish there was better tutorial on them. 

It is really not a big deal for you, if the noise level is too much then just switch to plan B.  Intrepid Partner built an amazing stand for the tank, adding a stealth box if needed with be trivial by comparison. 

• Like 1

Just FYI, here is a chart for for the approximate flow rates for full siphon drains. Note: the flow rate will increase as the height (or drop) increases. This is the opposite of water pumps.

FullSiphonFlowrates.png.d4f0be64acc23c8dc404518a3712dd14.png

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:28 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well folks, the moons eventually aligned and Intrepid Partner got 4 strongmen over to lift the 400lb monstrosity onto its throne. He also installed the stained glass. What's funny is he kept commenting on how tall it was and "what idiot designed this thing" multiple times. It is incredible how tall it is but I'm going to be able to manage it just fine. The drywalling table will help for sure, lol. Anyway here it is in all its glory: 

image000002(19).jpg.2529325e0fcc25cc2d73b860959ff4db.jpg

image000003(9).jpg.51ef3dcccbe705fd577421cfca8f3cc5.jpg

It is indeed a room divider, a wall even! Here it is when we tested it with a shop light to see what it might look like lit up (not final lights here): 

image000004(6).jpg.3ec936d5398eca76bb9d8690a65ba532.jpg

image000005(3).jpg.6fe3d22af0f7a2b6dc41235b345b4055.jpg

Then @anewbie you might especially appreciate (as I will) all the ROOM I have to service the sump: 

image000000(164).jpg.736a1c17ef9bb52b449eb01d084dd500.jpg

image000001(39).jpg.1f319869e76bc2c53daaee157416163a.jpg

Pretty amazing eh? We are going to band the marine plywood too with something so that won't be seen (below the tank and below the stand). 

Intrepid Partner and I went through (finally) all the equipment and parts. We have no valves to speak of ball or otherwise.....is it because our design is a stripped down freshwater version? Do we NEED to add one somewhere and where..... seems like we probably should to control flow into the sump. We're not even close to starting the assembly yet. Intrepid Partner wants to do a little more shoring up of the underside of the house for his peace of mind. 

One word.  GORGEOUS!!! 

• Thanks 1