Looking for some cool ideas for a new 29gallon

Pencapchew95

I just upgraded my two fancy goldfish from a 29gallon to a 50 gallon . They are super happy with the new setup. Now though I have this gorgeous 29 gallon and no idea what I should do with it. I’ve watched Cory’s video on 29 gallon setup ideas but would LOVE to hear some ideas from the community. Maybe use it as a breeder tank for some baby Goldie’s? Shrimp colony? The options are limitless ! Gimme some ideas to bounce off of 🙂 

New tanks are always exciting 🙂 

Considering you are a goldfish keeper, I assume you don't have problems keeping your tank on the cooler side. If so;

I would try a river tank with a good flow. Rainbow shiners/zebra danios/gold white clouds, Hillstream loaches/borneo suckers, dwarf chain loaches. 

If you want something hotter, I can suggest some of my fish: Honey gourami, red lizard whiptails, pygmy cories. If you like more water column action, you can remove whiptails or pygmy cories and maybe consider a school of fish. Emperor tetras look really cool imo. I enjoy snails so I like to have mystery snails as well.

Edited by Lennie

On 4/16/2023 at 7:47 PM, Lennie said:

New tanks are always exciting 🙂 

Considering you are a goldfish keeper, I assume you don't have problems keeping your tank on the cooler side. If so;

I would try a river tank with a good flow. Rainbow shiners/zebra danios/gold white clouds, Hillstream loaches/borneo suckers, dwarf chain loaches. 

If you want something hotter, I can suggest some of my fish: Honey gourami, red lizard whiptails, pygmy cories. If you like more water column action, you can remove whiptails or pygmy cories and maybe consider a school of fish. Emperor tetras look really cool imo. I enjoy snails so I like to have mystery snails as well.

That's quite a list for a 50 gal & a GOOD 1 at that 👍
I have 3 55 gals to do that & then some But I don't
have the space so the tanks are being unused. 😢

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:13 AM, Pencapchew95 said:

@Lennie I cant say im too familiar with red lizard whiptails! Also what is a river tank made up of? focused on single direction water flow? the idea of that is super intriguing! Thanks for the response 🙂

We love red lizards with @CJs Aquatics 🙂 they are very cute. Not picky at all when it comes to food. They can be a bit fragile until they settle in the tank, we both faced losses. But they like warmer temps.

I suggested first one as a river tank and second one is a normal planted tank tbh, but whiptails enjoy some flow too. But pygmys and honey gouramis would hate it 🙂 and other cold water fish wouldnt really enjoy whiptail temps in general. 

Here are some examples of river tank setup:

If you like botanicals and tannin look and dont wanna invest in  light and plants too much, a blackwater setup can be also cool! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the shout out @Lennie, I agree we love whiptails, they don’t require much space eighter and after acclimation in my experience have been easy to keep and fun to watch. As far as what to do with the 29 the options are endless. I think rainbow shiners would be fun and if you got tired of them I believe you could put them in with the goldfish, would have to double check…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 1:22 AM, Lennie said:

We love red lizards with @CJs Aquatics 🙂 they are very cute. Not picky at all when it comes to food. They can be a bit fragile until they settle in the tank, we both faced losses. But they like warmer temps.

I suggested first one as a river tank and second one is a normal planted tank tbh, but whiptails enjoy some flow too. But pygmys and honey gouramis would hate it 🙂 and other cold water fish wouldnt really enjoy whiptail temps in general. 

Here are some examples of river tank setup:

If you like botanicals and tannin look and dont wanna invest in  light and plants too much, a blackwater setup can be also cool! 

I've been checking out  this type of setups, That's why I'm going with a no heater setup 
I have the tank that can handle the pressure of the flow I have going, the plants 
I have going are java ferns, red amazon swords, marble amazon swords, Jungle Val,
octopus plant's, bacopa < 2 different types, Taiwan Lillie's, red tiger lotus, I have 2-320
gph power heads at 1 end of the tank & it creates a nice shimmer across the water.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 1:30 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

Thanks for the shout out @Lennie, I agree we love whiptails, they don’t require much space eighter and after acclimation in my experience have been easy to keep and fun to watch. As far as what to do with the 29 the options are endless. I think rainbow shiners would be fun and if you got tired of them I believe you could put them in with the goldfish, would have to double check…

I have a batch of 12 rainbow shiners coming they should 🤞 be here as late as Fri or as early
as Wednesday & if everything goes right will go in my 75 gal I've been busting my ? to get
ready for them. S I want everything as good as good can get to watch them grow & play.

• Love 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:00 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I have a batch of 12 rainbow shiners coming they should 🤞 be here as late as Fri or as early
as Wednesday & if everything goes right will go in my 75 gal I've been busting my ? to get
ready for them. S I want everything as good as good can get to watch them grow & play.

Exciting! 
 Keeping water cool for them is a real challenge for me. So usually cold water fish are a pass :,) My LFS recently carried some rainbow shiners.  They are such cool fish 

• Like 2

I have a group of honey gourami in mine. They need a bit warmer temps. They are so adorable to watch their delicate interactions. They are not really active though so if you want high octane this would not be a good route. I just moved my bumblebee catfish  prior to that I had a breeding pair of bristlenose plecos in with the HG.  I’m looking for a new bottom tank maté currently. 29s are fun. With the right mix you can do top mid and bottom dwellers. I’m looking forward to seeing what you choose. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:06 AM, Ninjoma said:

If you want to go in the complete opposite direction with a tropical water setup, you could do 1 angelfish, a pair of german blue rams and some bottom feeders like corys or kuhli loaches.

I have witnessed lots of agression between my rams in a 29g. I personally would not advice maybe until u have a confirmed pair. 

They also shoo angels from their territory.

@Guppysnail I love the honey gouramis! They are super cool and I almost might prefer them over Betta fish for micro setups. I have one as my main show fish for a 10 gal planted 🙂 

This is the current setup now. So I’d have to make a whole new stand for the 29 . 

BFAF7B58-06E5-426B-931E-51FF331CAE37.jpeg

Mind the bubbles in that picture 💀 . Fresh tank, but the sponge filters are well established! 

• Love 1

I love that stand. I’m always afraid mine are not solid enough. That would set my mind at ease. Plus 2 extra tanks 😍

I have 4 boys and 1 girl. I tried splitting to a breeding pair. It failed miserably. They are happy as a group. 
They have 4 floating betta logs now. 1 for each boy. Cat (the girl) loves flirting with each boy in their log. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Guppysnail Oh my goooooood, your tank is beautiful! So colourful. Im jealous. Valisneria is so filling its awesome.

@FLFishChik How many pea puffers can you get into a 29g?

@Fish Folk I love your setups! do you have any tips for removing stubborn tannins from wood? i have some pieces id love to use but i really am not looking for that blackwater look. Ive boiled them a bunch but nothing seems to do it LOL.

Thanks for the responses guys!

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 10:36 AM, Pencapchew95 said:

@Guppysnail Oh my goooooood, your tank is beautiful! So colourful. Im jealous. Valisneria is so filling its awesome.

@FLFishChik How many pea puffers can you get into a 29g?

@Fish Folk I love your setups! do you have any tips for removing stubborn tannins from wood? i have some pieces id love to use but i really am not looking for that blackwater look. Ive boiled them a bunch but nothing seems to do it LOL.

Thanks for the responses guys!

For 29g you can have 9 Pea Puffers if it’s species only. I’ve got Cardinal Tetras in that tank so I’m going with 6

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:36 AM, Pencapchew95 said:

do you have any tips for removing stubborn tannins from wood? i have some pieces id love to use but i really am not looking for that blackwater look. Ive boiled them a bunch but nothing seems to do it LOL.

I love tannins. So do many fish I keep. I never worry much about it. Over time, changing water, it works out. You can buy wood that's already _in_ an aquarium. I buy wet wood from my LFS all the time. Certain types of wood are loaded with Tannins. Others not so much. Choose a type that is low. My LFS sells pre-drilled slate to screw into wood so that pieces won't float.

• Like 1