Need Help Identifying a Tiny Spiral Snail - Anyone Seen These?

Atlantean

I noticed these tiny hitchhikers about 9 months ago. The shell shown by the penny is as large as they get. They multiply like rabbits. Closest thing I can find online is a New Zealand Mud Snail (Potamopyrgus antipodarum). It appears that's a really nasty invasive species hitting CA right now. I'm in Orlando, FL but we all know stock can be from anywhere.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen them. Also if assassins or Sobaken's No Planaria will work on them. Thinking they may be too small for assassins. And if they are mud snails then it would be really bad for them to hit Florida waters = must purge with fire.

Thanks in advance!

image.png.196bd7a7db536faaaa9c2e1a84297d09.png

Sadly, they're def not Malaysians - which can be beneficial. They don't grow any bigger than shown, don't burrow, and aren't nocturnal. They just motor around and cling on plants like super-tiny bladder-ponds would. Yes, they look like trap door snails but never grow any bigger. Was actually thinking about getting some larger snails to see if they'd out compete them or eat them. I know mystery and apple's engulf and eat smaller snails. Was also thinking about pea puffers.. but then that's a whole other problem. Gonna prob test out an assassin vs. 1-2 of these this week and see if he eats them.

My main concern is if they're this super invasive mud snail species or not. They're so small that filter and water changes might let some loose into the drain = possible disaster for FL wildlife. If anyone else has seen them or knows that they're not mud snails then I can breathe easier.

On 3/19/2023 at 8:39 PM, Atlantean said:

Sadly, they're def not Malaysians - which can be beneficial. They don't grow any bigger than shown, don't burrow, and aren't nocturnal. They just motor around and cling on plants like super-tiny bladder-ponds would. Yes, they look like trap door snails but never grow any bigger. Was actually thinking about getting some larger snails to see if they'd out compete them or eat them. I know mystery and apple's engulf and eat smaller snails. Was also thinking about pea puffers.. but then that's a whole other problem. Gonna prob test out an assassin vs. 1-2 of these this week and see if he eats them.

My main concern is if they're this super invasive mud snail species or not. They're so small that filter and water changes might let some loose into the drain = possible disaster for FL wildlife. If anyone else has seen them or knows that they're not mud snails then I can breathe easier.

Just water your outdoor plants with the tank water. No drain required. And birds may eat the small snails as well.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

In pretty sure these are of of the pond snails. They are a carnivorous snail. They are considered a true pest snail. They eat can eat fish. They are sometimes they are confused with bladder snails. I have never had them but  had a small panic years ago when I expanded  from a few tanks to many more. I alway had clown loaches in my tanks and there for no snails. I got some bladders snails on some plants and had to find what they were. That’s when I learned about pond snails. There are several subspecies of the great pond snails but are often just grouped together as pond snails. 

I think OP was on the right track it does appear to be hydrobiidae or mud snails. But there are several species of mud snails native to Florida. Floridobia get to about 3.2mm. And there are about 12 other species it could be I would need a microscope to get a better look. So my assumption is it’s one of the many native mud snails.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 3:15 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Odd Duck has shared this photo in the past, but the snail in the thread here looks like it has a less pointy shell.

image.jpeg.094d003363a45562322ef029c7d0bd57.jpeg

I’ve seen pond snails that mostly have less pointy shells, but all that I’ve personally seen are larger as adults.  I’m definitely not saying I’m an expert on snails, far from it. @Biotope Biologist is likely right on the money.