air stones

Knew tooth is

Ziss Air Stone: Does anyone know where the small, circular pads with the hole in the middle, which are inserted between the top and lower portions of the stone (maybe the pads called "diffuser pads") can be purchased separately from the actual "stone" portion? Also, does anyone know what material these diffuser pads are made out of, such that these pads could fashioned?

I also have an "UPETTOOLS Aquarium Air Stone Fish Tank Nano Bubble Stone Kit with Control Valve" (see picture). The bubbling has been reduced, presumably due to clogged frits. There is significant algae on the stone top. Algae eaters don't remove the algae,  although they can be observed munching away, there doesn't appear to be much of a visible decrease. I've read that bleach diluted with water (1 part:3 parts is one suggestion), or a hydrogen peroxide solution (diluted to 3% is one suggestion)  have been used successfully with air stones in general. The solutions follow boiling the stone for 10 min. My concern is the successful, full removal of the bleach/hydrogen peroxide from the cavity just below the stone, i.e., where the air entry port. Thoughts on this or other methods?

Thanks.

Air stone.JPG

Hi Pepere- thanks for the suggestions. Could the dechlorinator be the one used to condition water? If so, after rinsing, any suggestion for the amount? Interesting that the pads might be simple felt. Perhaps the pads could also be cleaned with peroxide or bleach.

@Knew tooth is to the best of my knowledge the pads aren’t sold separately (or at least I haven’t found them). I simply pull apart the air stone, and squish/roll the pads between my fingers in used tank water when doing maintenance and viola, they’re like new. 

For the diffuser, the bleach solution will work the best. I do it with my c02 diffusers when they get clogged. Soak in bleach for 5-10 minutes and keep the stone running if you can. After 5-10 minutes I soak it two or three times in water with a heavy dechlorinator dose (3-5 times the recommended 1ml/gallon). After a couple batches of that, I rinse well again under tap water and do my best to get water in and out of the inlet. Once all that’s done, put it back in your tank. The heavy dechlorinator will break down any bleach. You probably only have to do the heavy dechlorinator soak once, but I do two or three times just for peace of mind. 

Hydrogen Peroxide breaks down into just water and oxygen so that works too. 

All viable options!

Reverse Respiration will kill the algae. (Soak in plain Seltzer in the dark for 12 hours). Hydrogen peroxide as mentioned reverts to water and leaves no chemical residue. @dasaltemelosguy has used an ultrasound jewelry cleaner to return clogged stones to proper working order I believe. Possibly @Odd Duck also. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

Hi @Knew tooth is, if you use a jewelry cleaner to clear the air stone, it almost certainly will restore it to like-new performance but it's very fast. To know when to remove it, pump air through the stone while in the jewelry cleaner. As soon as it bubbles normally, remove it immediately. If left too long, the cleaner will dissolve the air stone!

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:46 PM, Guppysnail said:

@dasaltemelosguy has used an ultrasound jewelry cleaner to return clogged stones to proper working order I believe. Possibly @Odd Duck also. 

I have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner but haven’t used it for airstones or felt discs.  I would probably soak my airstones in vinegar as my first choice for unclogging if it’s from hard water.  Peroxide or seltzer if it’s clogging from algae.  Peroxide will kill algae quicker than seltzer and I get impatient for stuff like that where I’m not risking plant damage I want to get it done and over.  10-20 minutes in straight peroxide (which is 3% in the over the counter stuff in the USA).

I think ACO used to sell the felts separately (seems like I saw them on their website about 3 years ago?) but not since then.  I vaguely remember there was a mention a while back that they weren’t completely happy with the felts they were getting, but I think that got resolved.  I certainly haven’t had any issues with any of the felts on any stones I got from them or the extras that come in the bag.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 8:50 AM, Knew tooth is said:

I also have an "UPETTOOLS Aquarium Air Stone Fish Tank Nano Bubble Stone Kit with Control Valve" (see picture). The bubbling has been reduced, presumably due to clogged frits. There is significant algae on the stone top. Algae eaters don't remove the algae,  although they can be observed munching away, there doesn't appear to be much of a visible decrease. I've read that bleach diluted with water (1 part:3 parts is one suggestion), or a hydrogen peroxide solution (diluted to 3% is one suggestion)  have been used successfully with air stones in general. The solutions follow boiling the stone for 10 min. My concern is the successful, full removal of the bleach/hydrogen peroxide from the cavity just below the stone, i.e., where the air entry port. Thoughts on this or other methods?

Try this to clean it out.