Sick snail pls help‼️‼️‼️‼️

Helpwithmy_snailpls

On 2/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Oki

Yellowstone(the snail) was coming out his shell then I looked at him and he was sunrchie if that makes sense then when he saw me he went back in his shell quickly 

He is trying to get used to his new environment. I am glad he is thinking about coming out. He probably likes the water change. Some plants (real or fake) may help him feel more comfortable and secure because it looks like your tank is in a kitchen where there might be a lot of activity.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I think that's White-Hair Algae, not biofilm. Biofilm makes everything in your tank slimy, but that's not slime that's some type of plant or fungus since it's like a couple mm tall.

Doesn't change anything though, you can either scrub with toothbrush or let your snail eat it.

Edited by npip99

Make sure your filter has some type of biomedia in it. Like 30ppi foam from Amazon.

You will have ammonia issues unless your filter has a foam with enough surface area to grow the bacteria that you need.

If your filter already has a foam in it, then you're fine. Just use Prime daily whenever Ammonia is at 0.25ppm and water change if you ever see 0.5ppm. (Until you get Prime, you will have to water change immediately at any ppm Ammonia). It takes a while to cycle a tank, potentially 1-3 weeks.

Also, Snails can't catch Ich. So you're good there. It's possible the Ammonia was just from the dead Tetra and since they're gone you won't have an issue anymore.

Good luck!

Edited by npip99

Let me try and set your mind at ease. What you are doing is just right for your snail. The small water changes daily will help to dilute the ammonia down until it is gone. If you can get yourself a small fake plant or two when you can could help your snail feel safe to come out more. But you don't have to rush right out to the store to get them.

The little bit of ammonia in the water could be causing him/her to hide in there she'll more. But the small water changes each day will make a big diffrence. 

Now each time you change the water for right now you shouldn't need to clean your filter every time you do those daily water changes. That way the good bacteria has a chance to grow on the sponges or whatever material is in the filter. That's a good thing 👍 

Just remember to unplug your filter and heater when you change the water and then back in when your done. I think within a few days time you should be able to see a good difference.

Just feed once a day until you get all of the ammonia out of your water. 

@Guppysnail and @Chick-In-Of-TheSea are good friends of mine and you can trust what they are telling you. I know it can be very scary when you want to help your wet pets and feel like you can't to anything. But your doing a great job.

• Thanks 2

On 2/20/2023 at 10:02 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

10 gallons

Should I prep lettece for Yellowstone because snail like to eat at night?

My snails don’t like lettuce. I give them other (boiled) vegetables but they are able to eat zucchini, squash or cucumber raw. If you boil it a little it’s easier for them to chew. They love veggies. In my signature line below is a snail care sheet which has the foods they like. Also calcium is very important for their shell.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1