Sick snail pls help‼️‼️‼️‼️

Helpwithmy_snailpls

On 2/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I am feeling a little sick but when I feel a little better I will do the water change for today

Here’s a picture of what it says in the back

image.jpg

Ok that little sentence at the bottom is saying you need to use this WITH a separate water conditioner (dechlorinator). I am so sorry, I thought what you were dosing yesterday was the dechlorinator. The product you have adds bacteria to the tank, but it does not remove chlorine. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

@Helpwithmy_snailpls Hi there, it is very exciting to see how many people want to help you with your problems. Too many can make it confusing for a person who is new to the hobby. @jwcarlsonhas agreed to be the only responder to this thread to make it easier for you to keep track of all the instructions. 

I would ask that any other comments be curtailed at this point or if you have information that @jwcarlsonmight have missed that you contact them directly. Thanks to everyone who has wanted to help this newcomer to the hobby!

On 2/22/2023 at 10:53 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I am able to go to Walmart or petsmart and I have 20 dollars and a little more and what do I need to get the most important things?

Shouldn't even need $20, I don't think.

#1 dechlorinator.  Seachem Prime is best, but Tetra AquaSafe or API Tap Water Conditioner will all work "the same".  Maybe $6-10, you do not need a huge bottle of it, whatever is smallest is fine.  If you get nothing else, make sure you come home with dechlorinator.

5068002?$CLEARjpg$

#2 epsom salt is $4, you want this (or a smaller bag, you don't need much make sure it is unscented!) - optional at this point.  So if you just got to Petsmart, you won't be able to get this without a separate trip.  It can certainly wait until someone is already going to Walmart in a week or so.

5b8c2881-3a67-46e0-b98a-603c0562ae84.ffd

Edited by jwcarlson

On 2/22/2023 at 12:04 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

But I can’t use it because of the snail in the tank 

Epsom salt shouldn't hurt your snail the way you would use it, it would be for your betta.  And we can help with that later.

Right now you do not need epsom salt.  I would say go to Petsmart and just get dechlorinator.

Edited by jwcarlson

On 2/22/2023 at 12:19 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Oki and is there anything else that is really needed

I do not think so.  A small net if you don't have one, but it looked like you got a kit aquarium so it probably came with a net.  

Edited by jwcarlson

It's good that ammonia was zero.  Having no chlorine is also good, but it was probably there when you first set up the tank and with any water changes.

Hopefully you still bought some dechlorinator! 

I still think the right thing to do now is wait and monitor.  Hopefully you are still not feeding to see if the betta's swollen belly area goes down.  

I have been keeping fish for 25 years and just recently learned that snails rest.  I have never noticed it. Doesn't mean nothing is wrong with your snail, but I think it might just need a rest. 

She didn’t say but last time I tested it it was at 6.0 and she told me I had to add in the ph up I had

On 2/22/2023 at 6:57 PM, jwcarlson said:

It's good that ammonia was zero.  Having no chlorine is also good, but it was probably there when you first set up the tank and with any water changes.

Hopefully you still bought some dechlorinator! 

I still think the right thing to do now is wait and monitor.  Hopefully you are still not feeding to see if the betta's swollen belly area goes down.  

I have been keeping fish for 25 years and just recently learned that snails rest.  I have never noticed it. Doesn't mean nothing is wrong with your snail, but I think it might just need a rest. 

I saw the prime and the lady said I didn’t really need it and she said to get this

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Love 1

On 2/22/2023 at 5:59 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

She didn’t say but last time I tested it it was at 6.0 and she told me I had to add in the ph up I had

I would suggest not using the pH up at this time.  The pH is not an immediate issue (or any issue at all possibly).  Best to wait.  I know that is hard. 

The good news is you do have a dechlorinator now!  I have never used it, hopefully aloe vera is safe for fish and snails.

@Helpwithmy_snailpls I am going to step away for now, I have meetings all day at work tomorrow and am busy all day Friday, but I will check in.  Someone else will for sure help you and I think they'll be on the same page. 

The stress coat is a water conditioner with aloe.  It's what you needed 🙂

There is no need to return it and get prime.  Just keep an eye on how much you're using and that way you don't run out in future.

Right now, the tank is doing fine and just needs to cycle.  Don't overfeed and eventually we need to make a plan for KH in this tank.  This isn't a concern right now, but in future it will cause issues with the snail shell generation.

@jwcarlson @JJenna  The KH in this tank is 0, the PH is near 6.0 at last test.  Do not know what the store test had it at.  It is correct that raising PH isn't going to fix the issue, need to find other methods that will work long term.

• Like 1