Sick snail pls help‼️‼️‼️‼️

Helpwithmy_snailpls

• 3 weeks later...

Update:Yellowstone (the snail) was active for two days or more and moved into one of the houses and just stayed there for about 4 or more weeks he was on the roof yesterday eating and today he’s on the ground and there like white fuzz or like a web all over him and it’s pretty big and I am not sure what it is here’s a picture 

image.jpg

On 3/13/2023 at 1:41 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Someone please explain what the white fuzz is

It's just bacterial bloom, I believe.  Typically it can bloom up on driftwood or other things when a tank is initially set up.  I have never bothered cleaning it, eventually it goes away.  

Actually what I think @jwcarlson means is that is biofilm (bacterial bloom is usually something we say to describe white cloudy water). Biofilm is natural and good for bottom feeders and snails. You can wash it off if you want but it typically goes away- typical of newer tanks. 

You can gently pick up the snail and see if it rubs off (while still in the tank so as not to stress them is best). 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:10 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Actually what I think @jwcarlson means is that is biofilm (bacterial bloom is usually something we say to describe white cloudy water). Biofilm is natural and good for bottom feeders and snails. You can wash it off if you want but it typically goes away- typical of newer tanks. 

Yes, biofilm was in my head but apparently a disconnect between my brain and fingers. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2023 at 11:55 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Yellowstone is covered in it and do I scoop him out with a nets and put him on a paper towel and take it off of him? And to help relieve stress do I use the stress coat and double the dose 

image.jpg

image.jpg

No, don’t take him out. That will create more stress. Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and let us know what the readings are.

On 3/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Yes unless I didn’t it wrong I put the water in the tube added the liquids and waited and it turned yellow and all that counts for all 3 right?

Pictures help clarify things if you are able to take some for us 🙂 .  Basically there is 3 tests.  One is for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are separate tests. 

Have you see the snail move?

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 5:56 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

no not today that last time he moved was on Friday and on Saturday that’s when all the white stuff covered him and on Sunday the white things grew and here’s a picture of the test I use for all 3

Ok.  We'd want to make sure he's moving.  If you don't see anything, unfortunately it could be a sign of the bacteria and such trying to process the snail body.  The test you have is for ammonia only.

Do you have any other tests? Test strips or other test kits?

• Thanks 1