Sick snail pls help‼️‼️‼️‼️

Helpwithmy_snailpls

On 2/21/2023 at 11:14 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

It’s just really tough to go to the store because my mommy works all day for a whole week then comes back in the morning and sleeps then goes back to work and my grandma can’t drive and my sister doesn’t have a car yet so I usually have to wait till my mommy is filled with energy and able to go to the store

I understand. I'm sorry about that.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:18 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

It’s oki my sister is going to get a car soon so she can drive me whenever but right now I will look up what stores sell wonder shells!

Also won’t the wonder shell make the water to hard for my betta?

If you add a lot of them, far too much, yes it can.

Crushed coral is safer / easier because it's just letting the water add the particles over time.

Maybe your sister can help you figure out some of the stuff and help with research to make sure you get the right stuff?

Show her this.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/ph-gh-kh

Explain to her you don't have any KH in your water and this is very common.

On 2/21/2023 at 1:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Right now you don't need to change water

I recommended changing water to reduce that ammonia, as the snail is ill, and I believe ammonia to be the cause.

On 2/21/2023 at 1:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

One of the main differences is that additives like that are easy to mess up

I agree with this. I would avoid pH up and pH down products because every time you change water you have to accurately dose them or they can cause more harm. 

@Helpwithmy_snailpls what is the name of the dechlorinator you are using?

On 2/21/2023 at 11:41 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

What if I use one wonder shell and break one and put half in?

It depends what they have. Essentially yes you can break it down into small pieces and only add a small amount at once. They do make different sizes so you don't have to. I can look into the product website and see what they recommend as far as how much for whatever size you find for your tank.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:
On 2/21/2023 at 10:29 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Right now you don't need to change water

I recommended changing water to reduce that ammonia, as the snail is ill, and I believe ammonia to be the cause.

I understand. I didn't realize there was a Betta in the tank, so my advice was based on just a single snail in there. Low bioload, keep the water clean, don't feed too much.

Changing water is perfectly fine and recommended, but just need to make sure we can dechlorinate it. 

The water in the tank essentially off gassed itself. So it's fine for now.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:41 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I could show my brother instead because he had a fish tank before so he understand all of this

Should I get wonder she’ll or crushed coral?

Very cool. It's helpful to have someone to ask questions in person and help research.

If you don't mind the white mixed in the black substrate (gravel) then your best choice is crushed coral. 1 lb per 10gallons.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 2:53 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I agree with this. I would avoid pH up and pH down products because every time you change water you have to accurately dose them or they can cause more harm. 

It’s a quick start that’s all I use it’s from zapi 

On 2/21/2023 at 1:53 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I think they've got API Quick Start (pictured earlier), which... unless I am mistaken.  Isn't a dechlorinator, it's starter bacteria like Seachem Stability.  

I'll be honest, the ammonia test looks like a zero to me, but pictures can be tough.  I personally think people get a bit too trigger happy with water changing during cycling.  I really think the bigger issue here might be not conditioning water at all.  The good news is it's probably just chlorine not chloramine so it eventually dissipates.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:08 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I am feeling a little sick but when I feel a little better I will do the water change for today

Here’s a picture of what it says in the back

Unless you have something that dechlorinates the water, please skip the water change for today.  That is not a dechlorinator, it's starter bacteria.  Doing water changes without a dechlorinator will cause more trouble that you'd be fixing.  You can still add that quick start to try to help the cycle along.  The starter bacteria is pretty harmless... you could dump the whole bottle in, honestly.  

I don't know what stores are nearby, but I think most Walmart stores carry Tetra products if it's hard to get to the pet store.  API also makes a tap water conditioner... called exactly that, actually.  Either of these would work, the AquaSafe should be at Walmart.  

9478ae83bba332db25671e89240777e3.jpg  Tetra AquaSafe Freshwater & Marine Aquarium Water Conditioner & Dechlorinator, 3.38-oz slide 1 of 4

On 2/21/2023 at 2:19 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

If I get a other snail will it maybe help the other Yellowstone like maybe make him happy?

Not right now 🙂  Focus on getting what you have sorted out and anything in the future will be in better shape because of it.  I think your fish and snail are in chlorine right now (unless you're on a private well water system).  Which might be causing most of what you're seeing.  And changing water at this point will just renew the chlorine and make it worse.  

Chlorine actually dissipates so if it's already in the aquarium, it is or will be dissipated which is a good thing.  

On 2/21/2023 at 2:29 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

But I thought that chlorine kills fish right away

Can you list the products of what I need to get because I am feeling overwhelmed on what’s going now I don’t know what to do

Chlorine is not immediately lethal most of the time.  It will burn the gills and membranes (like eyes).  It might also be burning your snail. 

You've said that it's difficult to get to the store.  What's the easiest store for you to get to?  Walmart?  Petsmart? Petco?

If Walmart - get Tetra AquaSafe and a small bag of plain (no scents added) epsom salt just in case your betta ends up being bloated

If you can get to Petsmart or Petco - get Seachem Prime.  Small bottle is OK.  I doubt either of those places have epsom salt, so if you can't get that right now there's no reason to stress.  I'm trying to think a bit ahead between your two threads.  If money is an issue, you can get Tetra AquaSafe or API Tap Water Conditioner as they will be cheaper than Seachem Prime and they do work fine so far as I know.  You don't need a massive bottle.  I hate to say this, but avoid telling the sales people what you have going on if they ask you because they're going to confuse the issue and try selling you $50 worth of other chemicals that you do not need.

If none of those stores are available, let us know what you can get to and maybe we can figure something out for you! 🙂

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 2:38 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Do I take out 50% of water then add new water that has been boiled

Most people don't have a 5 gallon pot, I think the biggest one we have is about two gallons.  I'd take my biggest pot, fill it with water and boil it.  Then just let it sit, it's going to take a long time to cool down to a safe temperature, but you've got a nice glass thermometer in your tank that you can use to test the water temp.  You want to be within a few degrees of the current take temperature.

So once your boiled water has cooled down to the correct temperature, remove that much water from your tank.  It doesn't have to be perfectly full and if you don't use all the water, it's not the end of the world.  You can go roughly by dimensions your 10 gallon tank is about 12 inches tall.  If you drain 3 inches of water out that should be about 2.5 gallons (25% water change).  That's sufficient for what you're doing.

Again, I would suggest that you do not change water until you have dechlorinator.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:44 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

petsmart gave me that quick start only and told me I didn’t need anything else when I asked if I did): but all those stores are available and other said that salt harms snails

Epsom salt is actually not salt as in table salt.  I haven't had an apple or mystery snail in over 20 years, but I use a moderate amount of epsom salt and regular salt 1-2 tablespoons per 10 gallons without problem with my snails.  

I wouldn't get hung up on epsom salt right now, it is not something you need today.  I'm just thinking a week or so from now if your betta's swelling gets any worse or doesn't go down when you fast him for a couple of days.  

Unfortunately, your experience with them not knowing what you need isn't uncommon.  Operate under the assumption that you know more about keeping fish than they do.  You'll absolutely be able to get dechlorinator at one of the pet stores.  Walmart may or may not have the dechlorinator - check the website first, just search "tetra", and up top you can select your store.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:44 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

petsmart gave me that quick start only and told me I didn’t need anything else when I asked if I did): but all those stores are available and other said that salt harms snails

One thing to be aware of with big box stores is that employees work in different areas. One employee might be working on a few areas and not really have great advice for fish in general.  The might be a reptile person or more adept at birds or something and be helping out in the aquarium area.  It's just how it is sometimes.

Take advice there with a grain of salt, but when you run into the "fish person" you'll know and you'll get a feeling for how helpful and useful, how caring their advice is.

Let's take a step back. 

First, don't change water until you have dechlorinator (or water conditioner, same thing).
---> Ask your brother if he has some and can show you how to use it.

Second, when you go to the store, ask questions, have them test your water for you, and make water changes based on those results.  One thing hobbyists can do is to do too much when things just need time.  Right now the tank is new, and you need to give it time to grow bacteria.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:50 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

So I guess I have to wait until someone is able to drive me to petsmart or Walmart WAIT I GET BRACES ON MONDAY I COULD GO ON THAT DAY!

Walmart might have stuff there too, cool.

I want to share this video with you.  It's one of my favorites and shows setting up a tank.  There's a million of these, but this one is the most fun one for sure.

Here is a video of Cory using Crushed coral and explaining how to use it.  This will give you an idea of it, if you think you'll enjoy the look of it.  You can scoop out the black gravel into a bowl or something, then add the coral, then add the black coral on top to keep the black look.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

So I guess I have to wait until someone is able to drive me to petsmart or Walmart WAIT I GET BRACES ON MONDAY I COULD GO ON THAT DAY!

Ok, so you've got some time.  If you're going to wait about a week this is what I would do.

Skip water change today at the very least... again, I would suggest you wait until you have dechlorinator before changing water!

Alternatively, you can do the following... offering up only because I understand the drive to do *SOMETHING* when your pets are having issues.

I'm guessing you have a five gallon bucket (hoping).  Instead of changing water, you're going to boil water.  Boil your water, dump it in your bucket.  Repeat until you have a mostly full bucket.  Let that fella sit and cool off overnight.

Then tomorrow, when you get a chance, do another ammonia test.  If you're seeing it turn greenish, now you can do a water change and you've got the water ready.  If there's not measurable ammonia there's no reason to think about doing a water change.  If there is, you can do a 25% water change with room temperature water without issue, so you don't need to worry about heating the water.  

Now you've still got half a bucket of water and you can check ammonia again in a day or two and if you need to change water, your water is already available.  When you lose the last, boil some more and let it cool overnight or all day.

Edited by jwcarlson

On 2/21/2023 at 3:11 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I have a 2 gallon bucket only

So I would boil two gallons of water tonight and fill it up to have it ready in case you need it.  If that means you need something to hold water you're taking out of the tank when you eventually do a water change, then scrounge around for plastic milk jugs, orange juice cartons, or something like that.  Don't worry about what you're putting the dirty tank water in.  But do keep your bucket "safe".

I do want to stress again, because I know it's easy to overlook things: I really don't think you need to change water right now and that it could easily be doing more harm than good.  Even if you have to wait until Monday to get dechlorinator, you might not even need to change water then.  Especially if you fast your betta for a couple of days!  Without food going in, less ammonia will be produced.