Sick snail pls help‼️‼️‼️‼️

Helpwithmy_snailpls

On 2/20/2023 at 1:51 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Based on the lighting I believe it is either 0 or .25. What do you believe it is when you read it?

Looking a the base of the vial it looks yellow to me (any tinge of green would indicate ammonia).  Let's say at best it's 0, small stocking and this does make some sense.  But, if we start dumping in food then you're going to see that creep up pretty quickly.

I think at worst case the test you're looking at is somewhere in the 0 up to 0.1 range.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:56 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

image.jpg

This result is difficult to see.  If you can please re-test this one and then send us a photo.  We'd want to see the test without any sort of shadow on the color.  The camera focus on the strip essentially.  I understand you were trying to show the scale as well. 🙂

Seeing the pads next to the nitrite/nitrate ranges would help us to see.  It's a really soft coloration that's all.  Not your fault at all.

Alright, so we know the tank had an issue of ich.  There's a few things here to mention. 

One of the common ways to treat Ich is with meds in addition to salt.  Because the tank has a snail, you'd want to avoid using salt as it is toxic.  There's a medication that aquarium co-op sells called Ich-X (by hikari) and it's highly recommended to purchase some if you do run into this issue in future.  One bottle would be plenty and last you a long time.

Another option would be to have a tub or QT container where you can move the salt in the instance that you do want to treat any fish that present diseases.  This is common for hobbyists with snails and it is an extra step. 

You can also resolve this over time.  There are no fish in the tank, so the ich will naturally perish in time.

https://lifeoffish.com/can-snails-get-ich-or-do-they-spread-ich-find-the-answer-in-5-minutes/#How_to_prevent_Ich_in_snails_from_infecting_your_fish

By keeping your new snails isolated from all fish and inverts for about two weeks or so, the life cycle of Ich will break, and it will die off.

A normal ich life cycle consists of 7 to 24 days. If you prefer to eradicate every bit of Ich live in the quarantine tank, keep your snail for about 60 days, as Ich can not live without a host any longer. 

I would opt for light feeding every 2-3 days for the snail and then just let the tank do it's thing.  Focus on good quality water and verify those parameters with testing.  Just give the tank time to develop, let the plants grow, and let the snail acclimate to it's new surroundings.

On 2/20/2023 at 5:43 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Oh yay that’s good also this white fuzz all over this house do I take it out and clean it in a bowl filled with the same water?

This is called biofilm.  It's a bacteria film.  This is probably what the snail is eating and perfectly healthy for them!

• Thanks 1

I will re test and I can’t afford to pay for plants but when I get my allowance I will buy plants what plants would you recommend?

image.jpg

On 2/20/2023 at 10:26 PM, Sharon M said:

Just wanted to say I'm impressed with your caring attitude.
Most people would be "oh it's just a snail". 

Fingers cross for the little guy

Thank you it’s because I love all types of animals and it’s a life I am holding in my hand this is what my sisters just say):

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:35 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

what plants would you recommend

I would recommend Java fern. You don’t actually put it into the gravel. The roots stay out and feed from the water and it is a nice full plant that will really add some beauty to your tank quickly. And the snail will help clean the leaves but it will not eat the leaves unless the leaves are dying. It is really cute to watch snails clean plants. Also a great thing about plants- they use the ammonia! Which means less water changes for you. 🙂 But still do your water tests just in case.

Aquarium Co Op sells Java Fern but if you are shopping with your allowance at a chain store, look for a shelf that has live Plants in clear tubes. The Java fern should be there.

Also don’t get any new fish right now. We want to make sure the ammonia stays at zero every day first.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:59 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Also my betta kinda of grew a ball on its thoart

You should go into the disease section of this forum and create a topic about the betta, and put a picture of him along with the results of your water tests.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I will re test and I can’t afford to pay for plants but when I get my allowance I will buy plants what plants would you recommend?

image.jpg

The only thing that looks poor to me is the KH and the PH being low. Those two values are related to one another and how stable the water is. Low PH like that can also have some cycling issues.

@Guppysnail @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

For snails what would you opt for in terms of KH? What is "enough"?

The product you'd be looking for is called crushed coral.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 2/21/2023 at 10:16 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

Lucky for me I had low ph problems so I have ph up but my brother said it should fine and to don’t add it so do I add it?

It also rises kh

I have a bottle of the same thing. One of the main differences is that additives like that are easy to mess up. Let's say you add slightly too much or not enough, you have a bigger swing in parameters. Because it's resulting in PH swings, it could lead to stress and illness.

The difference being that adding something like crushed coral is made of of minerals that just dissolve over time. It is white little rocks that you would add to the ground.  If that isn't an option due to color preference then a product like PH up (liquid) or seachem alkalinity buffer exist (powder form).

I'll look up the directions on the one you have and we can go from there.

My next question is about maintenance and changing water. Right now you don't need to change water. But you should have a schedule for maintenance in mind. What is your plan? then we can discuss how it all works with the PH, KH, Additive (PH UP), and the health of the tank.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 10:50 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I don’t I was planning on getting conditioner but then I bought ammonia test and next time I go to pet supplies or pet smart I am getting plants

What else should I get the most important things

The bottle you have is quick start. That has bacteria to help the tank mature and grow bacteria to help cycle. That video earlier on was explaining "cycling".

Whenever you change water in the tank you need to add something called dechlorinator. This detoxifies ammonia, it also does things like breaks down heavy metals if you're using Seachem Prime. If you don't add dechlorinator and you have an issue with your water like chlorine or chloramines in the water then you could lose all of the fish very quickly. Minutes.

So right now the important thing is to get some dechlorinator (also called water conditioner).

Doesn't matter which one you get, I use prime. I've also used the one by aqueon and many others. I think the API one is just called "water conditioner".

Second thing that you may need is the crushed coral. Don't buy it if you don't want white in the black substrate that you've chosen.  You can also look for what is called a wondershell mentioned before. It's a small package like this:

Screenshot_20230221-110127.png.78cb1e717e4f62be58636fa0389bd4f6.png

If they don't have certain things at the store are you able to place an order from aquarium coop? Maybe you even have a partner store local that sells their products or has someone who can help out.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/retail-partner-store-finder

On 2/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, Helpwithmy_snailpls said:

I never seen it at the stores I go to and I can’t order it I don’t have credit card

It might not be available. 😞

Some pet stores have really cut down on what they offer because of things like Amazon cutting profits.

Anyways, I think the store you have local is a PetSmart.  You can ask the employee there if they have crushed coral. It might be in the saltwater section, but it's very likely they don't have any. I have the same thing as you, as that's the store available to me.

When you go. Bring a little bag of water and ask them to test it for you.  Explain that you have a snail and are looking to increase KH and maybe they can help show what is available.

If they don't have anything, don't buy anything you're not sure of. I know it might get confusing depending on what they say.

Please feel free to ask questions and send photos and stuff while you're at the store. No big deal.

It’s just really tough to go to the store because my mommy works all day for a whole week then comes back in the morning and sleeps then goes back to work and my grandma can’t drive and my sister doesn’t have a car yet so I usually have to wait till my mommy is filled with energy and able to go to the store

Edited by Helpwithmy_snailpls