Super glue plant to driftwood in tank?

I saw this suggested in a video from a YouTuber who isn't Cory but is somewhat connected to the Coop. I'm just feeling paranoid, like it's too good to be true lol. Can I really put the glue on the rhizome and put it into the driftwood that's already in the tank?? That would be soooo much simpler! Thanks!

Hi @Kelly S

@Katherineis correct.  Personally I like to use a gel type of superglue because it does not run as much as regular superglue.  My favorite is Loctite Super Glue Gel Control because it is easy to open but more importantly it seals tightly and doesn't dry out for several months.  I've put it on the rhizome or the roots both with good results.

-Roy

1997886133_LoctiteSuperGlueGelControl.jpg.e2464f9585f702c96141993e438654fb.jpg

738767943_2012-09-1720GallonJavaFernsattachedtohardscape005AdjSnSmpointer.jpg.cefe12eddb635e4dbd056599363307d7.jpg

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Like 4

On 1/24/2023 at 8:10 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @Kelly S

@Katherineis correct.  Personally I like to use a gel type of superglue because it does not run as much as regular superglue.  My favorite is Loctite Super Glue Gel Control because it is easy to open but more importantly it seals tightly and doesn't dry out for several months.  I've put it on the rhizome or the roots both with good results.

-Roy

1997886133_LoctiteSuperGlueGelControl.jpg.e2464f9585f702c96141993e438654fb.jpg

738767943_2012-09-1720GallonJavaFernsattachedtohardscape005AdjSnSmpointer.jpg.cefe12eddb635e4dbd056599363307d7.jpg

same stuff i use. works good, easy to control.

Another confirmation that you can use "super glue" with some aquarium plants. I'd just add that what ever glue you choose, try to use the plant to hide the glue.... The first time I glued a plant, the glue left a big white discoloration on the rock. Which isn't a horrible mistake,  just an annoyance if you are going after that pristine aquascapeing look. In hindsight, When I need to do it again, I'd probably go with the loctite gel glue which most likely would result in a better presentation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 6:45 AM, JoeQ said:

Another confirmation that you can use "super glue" with some aquarium plants. I'd just add that what ever glue you choose, try to use the plant to hide the glue.... The first time I glued a plant, the glue left a big white discoloration on the rock. Which isn't a horrible mistake,  just an annoyance if you are going after that pristine aquascapeing look. In hindsight, When I need to do it again, I'd probably go with the loctite gel glue which most likely would result in a better presentation.

Agree with that. I was using some of the Seachem glue and it looks awful. Definitely had to rearrange some things so it wasn't visible.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

It probably wouldn't help in @Kelly S's situation, because the wood is already in the tank and you have to move quickly, but you can also sprinkle some sand or rock dust on the still-wet glue to cover up the glue.

Cover plant with a wet paper towel, it buys you a lot 

Of time.

• Thanks 1