Earthquake Saftey

PaleoShrimp

We have a lot of earthquakes at where I live too, up to 7.0 ish mostly. But generally staying around 4.5s and lower.

The only problem I have seen over the years was, splashing water around as I keep my tanks rimless. My 29g is an acrylic if I'm not wrong.

In my new tank(this one is glass), I went for an aquarium and special stand made specifically for the tank itself. So it has covers on bottom sides except the back side, and sits on it inside it for a couple cms. I think maybe it is a help, as it is newly set up, around 2 weeks, I have not experienced an earthquake yet, thankfully :')

Here is a pic, hope it is somehow visible. But again, no experience with this one yet

IMG_3172.jpg.2ceeedd06d9ffeaf389f9d955d64c7b5.jpg

Edited by Lennie
  • Love 1

Not much you can do tank wise but depending on your stand you can earthquake proof those. Mostly just make sure it can withstand side to side motion. Often times that means allowing it to have a bit of “give” not being completely rigid. I find watching how they earthquake proof skyscrapers helpful as that is similar in physics. 

edit: we don’t sit on a fault line quite like Cali does. But Washington is long overdo for one (last ”noticeable” one was 2001). So I like to be prepared.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2023 at 9:24 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Mostly just make sure it can withstand side to side motion. Often times that means allowing it to have a bit of “give” not being completely rigid.

Have a large, secure, flat, strong surface, but also have a rubber mat (and some edges.... as you mentioned not a tight fit....

I'll never forget seeing waves in my tank.  I always get frustrated manufactured stands are so tight tolerance to the tank now.

@nabokovfan87 I was planning on building my own stand out of 2x4s. How much room would you leave past the tank?

my plan is to use the 2x4s vertically, so they would only be 1.5” wide.  Then have the tank sit directly over the 2x4 frame. My plan was to have a 1/4” space on each side between the tank and the edge of the stand. Do you think that is enough room? 

I also plan to put a rubber mat under the tank now after reading all the replies. 

On 1/25/2023 at 6:09 PM, Plechoeco said:

my plan is to use the 2x4s vertically, so they would only be 1.5” wide.  Then have the tank sit directly over the 2x4 frame. My plan was to have a 1/4” space on each side between the tank and the edge of the stand. Do you think that is enough room? 

In a perfect world, I would love to have a 1" space for the tank to move if something happens.  The pad and everything would be centered, the tank itself still needs to be supported on that overhang (some are, some aren't) and then you're looking into things like this where the tank fits into a cavity and is "held in place".

Overhang: *there is one side to side, but not front to back.
Ameriwood Forest Grove Rustic Gray 55 Gal. Aquarium Stand HD29015 - The  Home Depot

Cavity:
Aqueon 75 & 90 Gallon Aquarium Black Cabinet Stand 48 x 18 in in  Grandville, MI

• 1 year later...

I am going to purchase a 60 inch long, 18 inch deep, 24 inch high tank.  I am contemplating glass vs. acrylic.   If glass, I will get this from Custom Aquariums, with ultra clear glass front and back.  If acrylic, I will get a Clear for Life tank.  The stand will be made by Custom Aquariums as it seems they have a very strong wood frame design.  @Zenzo, I assume your tanks are glass?  Any help from the community with this decision would be greatly appreciated!

@AAE Custom Aquariums is very helpful, if you haven't talked to them I strongly encourage you to call. An agent will help you build your "dream tank" and you can tell them about your concerns. We just ordered one from them and are in earthquake country. We went with a framed tank which will add extra stablity and the extra silicone, though very neatly applied will also help with it. 

• Administrators
On 2/23/2024 at 2:28 PM, AAE said:

I am going to purchase a 60 inch long, 18 inch deep, 24 inch high tank.  I am contemplating glass vs. acrylic.   If glass, I will get this from Custom Aquariums, with ultra clear glass front and back.  If acrylic, I will get a Clear for Life tank.  The stand will be made by Custom Aquariums as it seems they have a very strong wood frame design.  @Zenzo, I assume your tanks are glass?  Any help from the community with this decision would be greatly appreciated!

I have a mixture of glass and acrylic tanks, but the majority are glass.