Livestock and plant prices

Patrick_G

On my last trip to Aquarium Co-op, I noticed that fish and other livestock prices seem to be coming down after pandemic highs. For instance, Neocardinia shrimp are 3.99, down from over $7 in 2020. Shoutedeni Puffers are $250, down from over $300. Others seemed lower too. 

On the other hand I noticed  dwarf aquarium lily bulbs went up from $5.99 to $9.99. They're still a good deal, just not quite as good as a few months ago.

• Like 1

Must be either

A) that the industry has learnt that breeding or locally sourcing fish & shrimp is the way to go forward instead of relying heavily on exports from Asia & South America.

B) Just the world getting back to “normal”.

What were the prices like before COVID? 

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
Spelingg

On 1/22/2023 at 3:39 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i recall @Cory saying on a livestream that plants went up because of shipping

On 1/22/2023 at 4:00 PM, Katherine said:

They still have to pay more to have it shipped to them.

This. And the fact that a lot of farms in the US are struggling now because of nature disasters. So they are not running on there normal capacity.

And he mentioned the shrimps (not sure if all or amano) as an example of an item they just did'nt think about to check and lower the price untill a few weeks ago.
So it might be that that step was even a bigger one then normally and thats why it's so noticeable?

On 1/22/2023 at 9:56 PM, Patrick_G said:

Cherry barbs are still $3 and still underrated.

I love their look. But I've seen some confusing comments about them before. Some people claim that they are nippy. Do you have any experience of keeping them with long fin fish/ angels, etc? 🙂 would love to know!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:59 AM, Lennie said:

I love their look. But I've seen some confusing comments about them before. Some people claim that they are nippy. Do you have any experience of keeping them with long fin fish/ angels, etc? 🙂 would love to know!

Mine can be boisterous, especially towards each other. When my 75 gallon was new they were the only mid level fish in the tank and they definitely picked on each other. Since then the plants have grown out and I've added other fish, including some barbs that were born in the tank. Now the Barbs aren't nippy, but they will still occasionally go nuts and chase another fish through the weeds. I currently have Green Neons, Swortails and Cherry Barbs as mid/top level fish. I’ve also had guppies without any problems. I’m not sure about Angels but I’m thinking about trying some. Maybe someone else has some input? 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 12:59 PM, Lennie said:

While following this and other forums I believe I've seen reports like that about every commonly kept aquarium fish except otos, and maybe corys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:26 PM, JettsPapa said:

While following this and other forums I believe I've seen reports like that about every commonly kept aquarium fish except otos, and maybe corys.

I feel like it is more or less valid for most fish. I've witnessed my rummy noses being nippy, but more out of curiosity and they stop the behavior very fast. Like when I introduced my honey gourami to the tank, they tried to be nippy with the feelers, but not chasing or bullying. They be like, what is that worm-like thingy.Hmm, let me check 😄 It ended very soon tho.

Barbs just have a bad rep in general. Maybe thats why :'). I have never kept barbs, maybe due to the negative impression they have on them. Tiger barbs are on my list, if I ever keep a big tank for sure!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 11:32 AM, Lennie said:

I feel like it is more or less valid for most fish. I've witnessed my rummy noses being nippy, but more out of curiosity and they stop the behavior very fast. Like when I introduced my honey gourami to the tank, they tried to be nippy with the feelers, but not chasing or bullying. They be like, what is that worm-like thingy.Hmm, let me check 😄 It ended very soon tho.

Barbs just have a bad rep in general. Maybe thats why :'). I have never kept barbs, maybe due to the negative impression they have on them. Tiger barbs are on my list, if I ever keep a big tank for sure!

You may be right.  Serpae tetras seem to have a worse reputation for that than most tetras, but I have a group of them in a tank with eleven pearl gouramis and have never noticed them interacting at all.  I suspect that reputation has come from people putting them in too small groups.  I've never had less than eight together.

I wanted tiger barbs until I saw a group of mature ones in a display tank at a store.  To me those didn't look as attractive as when they're juveniles, but it's very likely other people wouldn't feel the same way.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:36 PM, JettsPapa said:

wanted tiger barbs until I saw a group of mature ones in a display tank at a store.  To me those didn't look as attractive as when they're juveniles, but it's very likely other people wouldn't feel the same way.

they get a bit pale right? just like clown loaches. less vibrant colors went they grow up.

On the other hand, I really like the yellow-orange colors on fish! And also the pearl look. So Iove pearl gouramis!! I once thought about making a tank with pearl gouramis and sterbai cories together. They really match with each other, and both are a lil orange-y which I love! I ended up getting a honey gourami tho. Can pearl gouramis do well alone or in groups of 2-3? Looking for stocking options for my new 33g! Thinking of dwarf cichlids, angels or gouramis other than honey 🙂 

On 1/22/2023 at 11:11 AM, Patrick_G said:

Mine can be boisterous, especially towards each other. When my 75 gallon was new they were the only mid level fish in the tank and they definitely picked on each other. Since then the plants have grown out and I've added other fish, including some barbs that were born in the tank. Now the Barbs aren't nippy, but they will still occasionally go nuts and chase another fish through the weeds. I currently have Green Neons, Swortails and Cherry Barbs as mid/top level fish. I’ve also had guppies without any problems. I’m not sure about Angels but I’m thinking about trying some. Maybe someone else has some input? 

I have had cherry barbs and buenos aires tetras(notorious fin nippers) with my angels before, I believe that it can be a hit or miss sometimes. I believe you just need a really large group for them not to be curious and nip at angels. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 11:50 AM, Lennie said:

Can pearl gouramis do well alone or in groups of 2-3? Looking for stocking options for my new 33g! Thinking of dwarf cichlids, angels or gouramis other than honey 🙂 

I wouldn't try a single, or just a pair.  You could probably get by with three if you have a single male and two females, but larger groups are better (I have eleven of them in a 40 gallon breeder tank).

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 6:39 AM, Theplatymaster said:

i recall @Cory saying on a livestream that plants went up because of shipping, but that doesnt explain why it would happen at the retail store... @brandonnaturallyprobably know something about this.

Getting plants to the shop requires freight and those costs have gone extremely high.  Local breeding is going to be a way forward to offer quality and cost savings as long as we all become geneticists!

Plants are just difficult and to get them at the scale needed it's always going to have a cost to that.