Favorite Cory to Colony Breed

Jurrian Hering

I have a two part answer....

A.  The best corydoras is the one you enjoy looking at.
B.  If you enjoy the adults, and you don't have 20+ of them, you should get 20+ of them through spawning.  It's night and day sometimes on the behavior, the atmosphere of the tank and how that can lead to such a different enjoyment.

Some that I recommend you check out that are fun and enjoyable...

• Love 1

On 1/18/2023 at 7:13 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have a two part answer....

A.  The best corydoras is the one you enjoy looking at.
B.  If you enjoy the adults, and you don't have 20+ of them, you should get 20+ of them through spawning.  It's night and day sometimes on the behavior, the atmosphere of the tank and how that can lead to such a different enjoyment.

Some that I recommend you check out that are fun and enjoyable...

I think pandas would be my next choice in Cory's someday. But those orange lasers are pretty awesome too!

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 7:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'd love to get some green lasers and get the green to be a very, very, very, very nice green.  One of my lifelong projects that might never make the light of day or sense to try to complete.

Have to keep the dream alive ...Neva say Neva!!!   I'm ready to get started on the next adventure. The lemon pleco breeding 

• Like 2

Some cories lay lots of eggs but have a low fertility rate. Some lay few eggs but have a high fertility rate. Idk if it's a thing or not but I can imagine issues with colony breeding the ones with lots of eggs with low fertility if you aren't pulling the infertile eggs. Could cause ammonia spikes. That said, idk a lot all the different cories and where they lie on this. I do know pandas are ones that lay few, high fertile eggs. I'm pretty sure paleatus (peppered) are more on the other end but not as high egg layers as some. It might be a factor to consider. 

Some cories lay lots of eggs but have a low fertility rate. Some lay few eggs but have a high fertility rate. Idk if it's a thing or not but I can imagine issues with colony breeding the ones with lots of eggs with low fertility if you aren't pulling the infertile eggs. Could cause ammonia spikes. That said, idk a lot all the different cories and where they lie on this. I do know pandas are ones that lay few, high fertile eggs. I'm pretty sure paleatus (peppered) are more on the other end but not as high egg layers as some. It might be a factor to consider. 

On 1/18/2023 at 5:23 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i wouldnt do something like Aeneus that lays eggs on the glass, they eat the eggs as soon as they lay them, and make to means to hide them

Fish will learn that they won't survive on the glass. They also can spawn a ridiculous amount of eggs to cover for a major amount of losses.  Mine used to spawn on the glass and don't anymore. The massive spawns I've had was literally on every different surface in the tank. 

They basically test, try to have success, try a new location if it fails, or they just literally go bonkers everywhere.

At some basic level they lay where flow is to their preference.

• Like 1

My pygmy corys spawn regularly in my heavily-planted community tanks, which also contain tetras, shrimp, and snails.  Water is soft and slightly acidic.  They lay the eggs on the plants, I have never seen any on the glass.  Good luck with yours - it's lots of fun if you do get babies.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 7:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'd love to get some green lasers and get the green to be a very, very, very, very nice green.  One of my lifelong projects that might never make the light of day or sense to try to complete.

I’m here for you living that dream, lol! 

• Haha 2