Feeding your shrimp!

nabokovfan87

If you are interested at all about keeping shrimp, there is a lot of interesting conversation revolved around methodology and what to advise for certain species of shrimp. Please check it out!

What was your favorite thing you learned? For me it was about the difference in protein feeding for caradina vs. neos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

That was my first takeaway was protein difference. Then I would say the frequency of feeding. And that just makes me want to buy all the fancy different shrimp foods they sell. Well played Chris well played. 🤣

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That close up of their mouth and legs when eating was wild! His skittles collection is gorgeous.

I only just started keeping cherry shrimp after I picked some up at AquaShella last year, they are doing incredibly well and have easily become my favorite thing to watch in the tank. I have a booming colony of them at this point. I give them Snowflake (which they LOVE), ShrimpBaby, ShrimpFit+, all kinds of fresh veggies throughout the week, plus whatever brine shrimp/bloodworms the fish in my tank get. I am definitely going to look into that Shrimpholic line of food now!

They are breeding like crazy and seem to be doing well. I serviced my canister filter this weekend for the tank they are in and was shocked how many were living, and apparently thriving in there...I have a prefilter on the intake that I thought was keeping them out but I guess not. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 11:08 PM, Goldie Blue said:

I have a prefilter on the intake that I thought was keeping them out but I guess not.

We have the same thing in our 125 tank, last time we cleaned canister there were 100+ cherry shrimp in there. Maybe some shrimp prefer total darkness!

On 1/3/2023 at 5:32 AM, JJenna said:

We have the same thing in our 125 tank, last time we cleaned canister there were 100+ cherry shrimp in there. Maybe some shrimp prefer total darkness!

I was totally not expecting it, that's for sure. I opened the one valve at the bottom of the canister to drain and shrimp start flying out lol. I ran to get a net to hold over it while I drained.  They didn't seem to be any worse for wear, but I really wonder just how SO many made their way in. 

On 1/3/2023 at 10:49 AM, Goldie Blue said:

but I really wonder just how SO many made their way in

Only takes a few shrimps in the dark with nothing else to do but create babies...the furbabies enjoyed some of the shrimp before we realized what we had🤣

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:49 AM, Goldie Blue said:

I was totally not expecting it, that's for sure. I opened the one valve at the bottom of the canister to drain and shrimp start flying out lol. I ran to get a net to hold over it while I drained.  They didn't seem to be any worse for wear, but I really wonder just how SO many made their way in. 

It's all flow. In the wild shrimp zoeys/shrimplettes are river species and they travel downstream. That's all the filter was doing. In terms of size you're talking about something where they can be two tiny little specs and the size of single celled organisms when hatched. This is where something like a corner matten filter might stop that. Pecktec has a video on how to do this, probably the best way in addition to the secondary prefilter sponge.  It's a kit you can easily buy from swiss tropicals.

thanks for the video the protein is what i learn  mine usually gets feed once a day with a mixture  flake food with  fluval  Bug Bites   or the  pellets Sera Shrimp Natural Sinking Granules ,,, plus they  get rephasy cube  once a week as a treat  with vegetables twice a week my red cherries love sweet potatoes 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 1:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's all flow. In the wild shrimp zoeys/shrimplettes are river species and they travel downstream. That's all the filter was doing. In terms of size you're talking about something where they can be two tiny little specs and the size of single celled organisms when hatched. This is where something like a corner matten filter might stop that. Pecktec has a video on how to do this, probably the best way in addition to the secondary prefilter sponge.  It's a kit you can easily buy from swiss tropicals.

I have bought many matten filters from ST but those shrimp still get behind them.  It is all good they are just crafty.

• Thanks 1