Tale of a Sprig Unknown: Mystery Plant Saga

FLFishChik

‘Twas but a week ago that I exited my local BB pet store, newly acquired treasures in hand and headed home to acclimate my prized (but highly common and not very exciting) Ghost Shrimp.

As I prepared to welcome them to their new abode and introduce them to the other inhabitants of their vast 29 gallon estate, I noticed a small sprig, about an inch long, accompanying my transparent little friends as I transported them into their new home via the net. A single little green stem, bristled and thin, but interesting in it’s form as it escaped the net along with the shrimp. Too tired to try and chase it around the tank, as it had swiftly been caught in the down current of the filter and nestled just under the pre filter sponge, I left it there to fish it out another day. There it remained, forgotten for a week until today, when trimming back an offending Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, I noticed the tiny sprig had escaped the grasp of the pre filter sponge and had lodged itself in a clump of Water Sprite. Upon inspection, it seemed to have grown 2 new sprigs and the tiny hairs of new roots were forming. Unable to bear the thought of sending this little plant to an untimely end in the depths of the kitchen trash can, I scooped it up and gently planted it into the substrate of the 29g estates gardens. 

For now, it seems tiny, lonely and out of place, but I shall give it time, love, patience and see how this mystery plant will grow!

79E4A06C-7C77-41DB-A367-3BE3A6A02D3F.jpeg

7D8A2EF6-28F4-4239-8A38-DBBE5F592074.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 7:41 PM, FLFishChik said:

When you trim it, does it stop growing from the original stem? Does it produce side shoots?

It makes a new shoot or several new shoots near the end of the stem and/or some side shoots elsewhere, but usually it prefers to grow one very long stem. (At least mine likes to grow like that, in these 2-meter long loops instead of being bushy and pretty).

On 2/3/2023 at 7:09 AM, Fonske said:

It makes a new shoot or several new shoots near the end of the stem and/or some side shoots elsewhere, but usually it prefers to grow one very long stem. (At least mine likes to grow like that, in these 2-meter long loops instead of being bushy and pretty).

I was hoping that maybe once this shoot was tall enough, I could trim it, replant the top and the original would branch a bit to help fill in that space.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:33 AM, FLFishChik said:

I was hoping that maybe once this shoot was tall enough, I could trim it, replant the top and the original would branch a bit to help fill in that space.

Anacharis does best for me if I just drop a piece in the tank and let it do what it wants.  Sometimes it floats and sometimes it sinks.  It will send roots out along the stem, but it won't root from the cut end like stem plants will.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:24 PM, JettsPapa said:

Anacharis does best for me if I just drop a piece in the tank and let it do what it wants.  Sometimes it floats and sometimes it sinks.  It will send roots out along the stem, but it won't root from the cut end like stem plants will.

Same experience exactly, the only way for me to grow it is to toss a little bit into a tank and hope the plant likes it there. Usually it doesn't, but the guppy tank above is the lucky one. 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:33 PM, FLFishChik said:

If it starts to really grow, it will fill the entire tank in two weeks or so without any intervention...and the roots will happen where they want to, like @JettsPapa said. 

• Like 1