Venting - Unexpected Betta Death

BettaBabe94

So I don’t feel like getting into the nitty gritty of water parameters, because it’s not going to change anything.
I’m just blindsided by this. Monday my betta was acting kind of sluggish/mopey. I decided to do a water change just because it was due anyway, tested the water ahead of time with test strips and everything seemed fine. Tuesday and Wednesday he was still kind of lazy, but not alarming, he’s not super active anyway. He ate like normal. Last night (Thursday) I went to feed and he looked like he was sleeping in his log, which I’ve seen him do all the time. I tried to get his attention but I figured he was in a deep sleep. So I poked his tail and he just flopped out of the log….dead. Gills and mouth wide open. I took him out and put him in a cup to get a better look at him. I literally stared at him for 15 minutes trying to find ANY gill movement. 
I don’t know what the hell happened. I did a lot of research last winter about water parameters, live plants, water changes, etc. I learned so much. I got a bigger tank and was doing everything right (as far as I know). I got him in January (2022)! It’s just really really frustrating and mind blowing that the bettas I had back when I was uneducated and did things that make me cringe now, lived at least 2 years!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry! I had a string of bad luck with bettas so I know exactly how you feel. I had 2 bettas get what I suspect was dropsy back to back... I tried everything to save them. They are so hardy but at the same time can be so sensitive. I absolutely love bettas but after these two even I'm thinking of switching gears for a bit and try some smaller schooling fish. BUT even so I still have 5 bettas lol... they can break your heart but they are such cool fish in my opinion! Chin up!

• Love 1