Starting 40 gal, want a wet pet, advice please?

f00sh

Hey all, new to the forum, returning to the hobby after a few years away.

I can't keep dogs/cats/birds/small mammals/etc. as pets so I really want a friendly, interactive "wet pet" fish friend. I'm starting a 40 gallon breeder which will be the largest tank I've done solo. I've had several bettas for that reason, they're great little buddies.

I'd love an oscar but I'm not sure that I can get to a 75+ gal soon so I ruled them out. I sadly ruled out fancy goldfish because I'm worried about the health problems in fancies, and the sturdier varieties like comet and shubunkin won't fit in my 40gal.

That has me to pea puffers and bettas again. Are pea puffers friendly and interactive? Do they greet owners / learn tricks / etc? They're so awesome to watch, for sure. Am I missing a good pet-type fish for a 40 gal?

Otherwise I guess I'll get at least one betta and try to give him a life of luxury in his 40 gal with some betta-friendly community fish.

Thanks!

• Like 1

My Pea Puffers are super interactive. I have 6 in a 29 gallon, and they beg for food like little puppies. This tank is pretty heavily planted, and there’s times that I can’t see a single one of them. However, if I go up to the tank they’ll come out of hiding, check me out, follow my finger around, etc. My Pea’s are fun, but me personally, I’d want a pretty big group in a 40. 

I focus more on community tanks rather than species only/wet pets, but if I was looking to do a wet pet in a 40 I would consider: a group of Pearl Gourami’s, maybe a pair of Electric Blue Acara’s, or a Flowerhorn, but just like an Oscar a Flowerhorn will eventually need a bigger tank. 

Just some thoughts. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:20 PM, f00sh said:

I've had several bettas for that reason, they're great little buddies.

I would point you toward's @Chick-In-Of-TheSea's journal for her Bolivian Ram!  It's a very awesome, personable fish.  You will get that similar personality but open yourself up a lot easier towards a nano community tank type of scenario.  Betta's would do a lot better in a 20G compared to a 55G or 40B because of the flow you need in bigger tanks. Just something to note.  Ram's, they just want the right temp and will be awesome.

In my case... my personality fish of choice is the RTBS or Rainbow Shark (either one).  My red-tailed black shark does greet me every morning.  She doesn't do backflips or tricks or anything, but she's an awesome fish that I really, really adore. 

Another option for you might be a solo tank with a puffer (mentioned above) or even the big brain fish what are they called.... flowerhorn.  I don't know if they will do well in that tank long term, but it's an option as well for a very interactive fish.

• Thanks 2

I have German blue rams tat are very much puppies. Just as interactive with me as a betta. Eat from my fingers and always wherever I am. Zero fear total curiosity fish. I’m astounded by the personality of these. I have them in a 40 B. The colors are shocking and change throughout the day. 

CD5F5AC9-ADA0-4F41-9864-E2F5B370D886.jpeg

F62BEC40-5DC5-4919-BD1A-CD9C64B70BEC.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 5:17 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have German blue rams tat are very much puppies. Just as interactive with me as a betta. Eat from my fingers and always wherever I am. Zero fear total curiosity fish. I’m astounded by the personality of these. I have them in a 40 B. The colors are shocking and change throughout the day. 

Reminds me so much of my tiger barb tank.  They were so fun to feed.  I would see one getting picked on in the herd and specifically target feed and care for it while it recovers.... They definitely can be charismatic too!  Some fish just know when the owner cares. They give you that bond back.

^^ Thoughts / memories when watching your video.

• Love 1