My male blue guppy has split its tail in half(horizontally)

iwanttostayanonymous 92074

Hi, just today I noticed my blue male guppy split its tail and I’m trying to help it recover. I am not sure how it’s tail split. The guppy lives with 7 other guppies, two male platys, and one female Platy. I’m not sure if he was getting bullied or something sharp cause the fin to split but I’m concerned if my guppy will be ok. I have dosed the water will API melafix because in the bottle it said it would help repair damaged fins. Can anyone help me figure out if I need to be concerned about my guppy and if I’m using the right medicine?B866C005-80BB-4216-A02E-3D1602174725.jpeg.b62584f086966e668fe647fb5cab9fe3.jpeg9A3FD82C-2018-431F-88A2-AA8D9CFCAAD5.jpeg.0c0baab81b71f0d6a990fa5d28d80ed5.jpeg

Hi sorry one more thing. I have read that ripped fins can lead to fin rot. Do any of you think this could have a big possibility happening and if so what can I do to prevent it/cure it if it happens?

I would also say don't use anything with "fix" in the title. 

You're better off using Aquarium salt than any of that. 

(also welcome to the forum. 😁)

(if you already added it to the water and decide to remove it just do some SMALL water changes over the course of a few days and remove it, or put carbon filter in if you use an HOB)

• Love 1

On 11/22/2022 at 6:49 PM, iwanttostayanonymous 92074 said:

I’m not sure if he was getting bullied or something sharp cause the fin to split but I’m concerned if my guppy will be ok.

Agreed with everyone above.  Verify the decor isn't going to cut anything (some plastic plants can be very sharp as well as some decor) and then just use salt if anything.  As long as your water tests fine I would just monitor it more than anything else. Salt never hurts, so I usually start there to help with stress.

You'd want to make sure there is line of sight breaks and stuff if you do have a lot of breeding aggression between the males going after this female.