Should I use Root Tabs?

JJenna

Why don't I think of these questions before I buy the products? The substrate in my tank is Seachem Flourite. Will sufficient amounts of the Easy Green reach the substrate and be absorbed by it or should I put Root Tabs in as well? The tank has only been planted a couple of days so it's too soon to see any changes in the plants. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:05 PM, JJenna said:

Swords, Vallisneria, Crypts, Anubias, Java, Crinum, Pogostemon

the swords, vallisneria and crypts will definitely benefit from the root tabs. Anubias, java fern and pogostemon tend to be more water column feeder unless you have them planted into the substrate, and will use the easy green liquid. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 8:49 AM, MattyM said:

I would, I think EG is primarily for the water column. I like to feed my rooted plants root tabs and keep my EG dosing lean to avoid algae.

Fertilizer does not cause algae. Algae will take advantage of nutrients faster than plants, but it is not the cause. 

• Like 2

You may not need them depending on how much waste (food) they are getting from your inhabitants. However, in my experience, even with a heavily stocked tank, when I added root tabs around my swords and crypts, it really kick started their growth, and I noticed that the leaves looked brighter green and healthier. 

• Like 1