favorite schooling fish?

Theplatymaster

I forget the name.... the star tail looking ones.  Let me dig it up.

Silvertip Tetra!

They are at the first few minutes of the video here if you would like to see the schooling behavior.  It should start at that point 🙂
image.png.f8e84acf8d31c85379ad9cb256b803eb.png

I also am a big fan of green neons for a smaller fish that is very calm.

Edited by nabokovfan87

The classic debate: schooling vs shoaling. What we (I being representative 🙂) think of as schooling is that tight-knit group that stays together and stays in formation from one side of the tank to the other and back again. Among the community smaller fish, rummy nose tetra are maybe best known for this. I had a group in a 24" tank, and moved them up to a 36" and the difference was pretty remarkable. "Schooling" was much less evident in the 24" tank, because they just couldn't get a rhythm going. Sure they bunched up when stressed, but when they calmed down there just wasn't enough space/length for them to from ranks and cruise. 

Even in the 36" tank, I found that any obstacle in their side to side path disrupted the schooling quite a lot. It was a fairly heavily planted tank (in the "jungle" style 🙂), and I saw much better schooling right after big trims of the plants that opened up the travel lanes. All it took was a big crypt leaf or a few stems of limno in the wrong place and the whole vibe changed. 

Shoaling is a lot more common, where fish of the same species kind of cruise around together and are part of a single cohesive group but at any given time some might be going this way and some that way, and they only really school (all going the same way together) when frightened. 

If you want what I think of as schooling, get 12 or more rummy noses and upsize the tank to 36". In the 24" tank you won't really see the schooling at its best, so choose your stock for other things like color, other behaviors, compatibility, whimsy etc. 

FWIW the best schooling I've seen (personally) was denison barb/roseline shark in a 48"? discus tank that was bare except for pleco caves and slates on the bottom, and a big slender-branching driftwood in the middle that wasn't obtrusive enough to actually block their path of travel. 

On 11/7/2022 at 2:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I forget the name.... the star tail looking ones.  Let me dig it up.

Silvertip Tetra!

They are at the first few minutes of the video here if you would like to see the schooling behavior.  It should start at that point 🙂
image.png.f8e84acf8d31c85379ad9cb256b803eb.png

I also am a big fan of green neons for a smaller fish that is very calm.

i like silver tip tetras but im worried about them outcompeting my betta for food.

On 11/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, TOtrees said:

The classic debate: schooling vs shoaling. What we (I being representative 🙂) think of as schooling is that tight-knit group that stays together and stays in formation from one side of the tank to the other and back again. Among the community smaller fish, rummy nose tetra are maybe best known for this. I had a group in a 24" tank, and moved them up to a 36" and the difference was pretty remarkable. "Schooling" was much less evident in the 24" tank, because they just couldn't get a rhythm going. Sure they bunched up when stressed, but when they calmed down there just wasn't enough space/length for them to from ranks and cruise. 

Even in the 36" tank, I found that any obstacle in their side to side path disrupted the schooling quite a lot. It was a fairly heavily planted tank (in the "jungle" style 🙂), and I saw much better schooling right after big trims of the plants that opened up the travel lanes. All it took was a big crypt leaf or a few stems of limno in the wrong place and the whole vibe changed. 

Shoaling is a lot more common, where fish of the same species kind of cruise around together and are part of a single cohesive group but at any given time some might be going this way and some that way, and they only really school (all going the same way together) when frightened. 

If you want what I think of as schooling, get 12 or more rummy noses and upsize the tank to 36". In the 24" tank you won't really see the schooling at its best, so choose your stock for other things like color, other behaviors, compatibility, whimsy etc. 

FWIW the best schooling I've seen (personally) was denison barb/roseline shark in a 48"? discus tank that was bare except for pleco caves and slates on the bottom, and a big slender-branching driftwood in the middle that wasn't obtrusive enough to actually block their path of travel. 

shoaling is fine too, i didnt check my grammer the best

Red eye tetras, not too big, not too small. 

Silver tips not sure a betta could tolerate their rambunctiousness. 

Danios Zebra or Leopard, your betta wouldn’t be happy with them. 

More corys - they never pass on easy protein like sleeping platt fry. 

A non-algae eating goby - Peacock or Emperor gudgeons could be great and might breed for you as well as prey on your platt fry. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 6:45 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Red eye tetras, not too big, not too small. 

Silver tips not sure a betta could tolerate their rambunctiousness. 

Danios Zebra or Leopard, your betta wouldn’t be happy with them. 

More corys - they never pass on easy protein like sleeping platt fry. 

A non-algae eating goby - Peacock or Emperor gudgeons could be great and might breed for you as well as prey on your platt fry. 

In my research it apears red eye tetras nip fins, which is not good for my crowntail betta

More cories: Nothing against cories, but i want something i haven't tried before, and more midwater

Goby: Breeding gobies can be territorial...