40 gal. Breeder: What to Breed??

Fish Folk

Breed me some hummingbird tetras.  I can’t ever seem to get enough in at once to end up with a breeding group.  Males seem much more likely to die off in shipping.  😞 Parameters should be very similar for the bettas so you could use the other side of your 40 breeder for them.  😃 

• Love 1

On 11/4/2022 at 2:11 PM, Fish Folk said:

We’re in western MD

im in central, right smack in between dc and Baltimore 

On 11/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

Breed me some hummingbird tetras.  I can’t ever seem to get enough in at once to end up with a breeding group.  Males seem much more likely to die off in shipping.  😞 Parameters should be very similar for the bettas so you could use the other side of your 40 breeder for them.  😃 

cool looking fish!

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Aiden Carter said:
On 11/4/2022 at 2:11 PM, Fish Folk said:

im in central, right smack in between dc and Baltimore 

Do you belong to an Aquarium Club? We’re part of PVAS, Potomac Valley Aquarium Society. Meets in Fair, VA. It’s an excellent club, with very experienced aquarists. I learn something new every time I attend.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 11/4/2022 at 3:14 PM, Fish Folk said:

Do you belong to an Aquarium Club? We’re part of PVAS, Potomac Valley Aquarium Society. Meets in Fair, VA. It’s an excellent club, with very experienced aquarists. I learn something new every time I attend.

I would like to but I can’t drive and my parents definitely aren’t going to drive to Virginia 

• Like 1

I’d second Festivum. My favorite cichlid. They’d do well in a 40 breeder. 
Nannacara are great fish. Check Hoon Aquatics IG for some pics of his Ivanocara. Insanely cool cichlids. 
You’ve successfully done egg scattering tetras I think before so I’d support congos. Plus I’d definitely buy a boatload of them from you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, Fish Folk said:

Kirbs are excellent parents. Yep, they tolerate a nice dither. However . . . per OP . . . that's a species I've already done. I am looking to try a new species.

Oh my . . . that Festivum looks amazing . . .

1651450794_ScreenShot2022-11-03at1_44_17PM.png.ad79e36fa930f0ae3579baf003627bfa.png

I have a tank full of festums (wc); the verdict is still out - they are not a small fish - they haven't really become bullies yet but they have quite a bit more 'mass' than angels (I keep them with angels). They are also a *lot* smarter. When they see net they run - no second guessing.... I've had mine for about 6 months now and they are reaching that adult stage so i might have further comments in another 3 to 6 months. 

It’s been said a times, my first choice would be shell dwellers, specifically Lamprologus ocellatus.

I have also been looking into a breeding project and have been thinking of doing an invert. Either Vampire Crabs or Papua Zebra Tigers.

A fish I’ve tried before but was never able to get a pair, Cryptoheros Myrnae. I had a male for years and never was able to find any females.

• Like 1