help with corydora id

Papagoomba

You’re more likely to encounter trilineatus in the hobby than a true julii. 

Julii cories are supposed to have fine spots on their head whereas trilineatus have a reticulated pattern. Although I say “supposed to” with heavy quotations as there are some varying accounts of markings that make me suspicious of this actually being accurate.

Anyway I have reason to believe you were most likely sold ‘false julii’s’

• Like 1

Kind of depends where you got them from, honestly. If it was a big box store or a local shop that doesn't really have a ton of expensive corys, even the shipping sheet could say it's one thing but end up with another.

In the other thread when someone was asking @Odd Duck had a good eye for which was which.

Screenshot_20221022-204848_1.png.266eff9a50669d478439159f521034f7.png

Based on the head it does look like the pattern connects so I'm leaning towards the real deal.  The pattern can change as they grow.  I got some from the big box store and they ended up being the reticulated pattern ones. Really beautiful when they grow up to adult size. (Both are, honestly)

I got them at petco while i was there because my daughter wanted to go in and i juat couldnt say no to them. All of the pics ive seen of the false show more of a line pattern on the body rather than dots but these have dots. Either way i love the way they look.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:54 PM, Papagoomba said:

I got them at petco while i was there because my daughter wanted to go in and i juat couldnt say no to them. All of the pics ive seen of the false show more of a line pattern on the body rather than dots but these have dots. Either way i love the way they look.

Yep, same for me.

Once they grow up to 1.5" or so it's a lot easier to ID. Under an inch, there is potential that the patterns change slightly, just give it time.  Looking at the head I see the worm lines and the reticulated patterns though.

That guy looks like he might be a bit too young to be 100% sure, but I’m definitely leaning toward trilineatus (false julii just to be as clear as possible for anybody else reading).  Their spots tend to join into wriggly lines and that’s the easy way for me to remember - “lines on lineatus”.  True julii I’ve seen have very fine dots over the face.  The more rounded snouts, shorter, stouter body part is much harder to notice for me.  Apparently when juveniles or younger, the spots vs. lines part can be less reliable, so I hesitate a bit on this particular kiddo, but I think much more likely to be trilineatus.