Do you name your fish?

NOLANANO

And if so, share your favorite fish names.

I generally don't name a fish unless the name comes naturally. For example, I have 30 or so fish and only my male Red shoulder Apisto Macmasteri has been definitively named Redneck.  I have tried to name other showcase fish or even give my school of Rummynose a group name but nothing ever sticks.

Do you name all your fish, some of your fish, or none at all?

I - that is me - myself - and not you - DO NOT NAME MY FISHES. More so i don't even name myself. I'm a hey you or whatever you wish to call me. When it comes to fish about the most i might do is apply an adjective that vaguely reflect a fish behavior - but even that is unlikely. Mind you i have some fishes with funky behavior; even more funky than their brother and sisters or whatever but names - no they wouldn't recognize it so why bother. Now my cat knew her name worse my dog new her name. When i called the cat she came running; when i called the dog (esp when she was out door and wanted more play time) she went running away.  Sometime names are not that great....

And when it came to taking our dog on a trip - now that was a blast. You see there were two types of trip - one to the vet and one to the horse farm. She loved the horse farm but hated the vet so she would come running to the car but then look at us closely and tried to determine if she was going to the vet or the farm and if she decided it was a vet trip - well she didn't stay near the car long.... (this whole thing with vet was bizarre because her mother LOVED going to the vet; so if we had to take both of them to the vet one would jump in and the other one would run away... go figures....)

Anyway as you can see names can be a horrible thing and so no names for the fishes - ever - 'cept for the grumpy pleco but that isn't really a name that is an adjective to a nameless pleco.

Edited by anewbie

I have small kids, and I thought they'd jump at the chance to name the our fish, but I think them all being small and basically indistinguishable took a lot of the fun out of it.  Weirdly, they were much more enthusiastic about naming the mystery and nerite snails, which were all named after characters from Encanto.  So we definitely talked about Bruno (the female mystery snail)

I usually only name my pet fish or showpiece fish. Never the fish that are in schools. 

All my previous and current bettas have names: 

1) Koi betta named Gemini because it had two different colored eyes

2) Female red betta named Rosa

3) Platinum male betta named Snowflake

4) Blue marble male called Ciel 

5) female pea puffer named Boba 

I do if the fish has a personality. For instance, we had two yellow-and-blue guppies that ended up being named Eugene and Varian, after the Tangled Adventures characters. Currently one of my clown killis (the smallest male) is named Dave (a name that is always said with a mix of slight horror and heaps of exasperation). So whenever the fish has enough of a personality, they get a name. If they don't stand out from the others enough to warrant one, they don't.

None of my fish are named at present, but sometimes a fish seems to deserve or earn a name.

My first common pleco was 16" and 10 plus years named Leviathan.  A much smaller pleco was later named Snowplow based on his behavior. 

Referencing Star Trek's Borg Collective, 3 of 9 was the largest and oldest of my original  Tinfoil Barbs.  The remaining TFBs are so similar that their numbers don't matter.

Ember was an adopted Ember Tetra. Ember appeared to brightly glow like a burning coal when viewed on the fishcam in a dark tank.

I do for specific fish, if they're unique and/or have their own quirky personality. The rest of them... not so much (oh the joys of being overrun by platy fry)

My original parent platys: Daisy (female, orange mickey mouse), Kali (female, tuxedo), Jared (male, White Wagtail), Misty (female, blue mickey mouse, recently passed from dropsy...she was my favorite 😕)

Some of their offspring are named too: Mini-Misty(looks just like her mom), Sierra(Misty but with black fins, female), Dakota (Misty but with a bright orange top fin, female), Naranga (deep orange female, no markings and really stunning), Amber (gold mickey mouse, female), Luna (white mickey mouse, my prized female)

Sadly all of Kali's offspring kinda look the same so they're not named 😳 those strong tuxedo genes!

In my community tank, I added an angelfish that I originally named Oreo (but has since morphed into Oiyo), and a neon blue dwarf gourami named Mordenkainen... Kai for short (MtG reference, my husband named him LOL)

Also my betta is named Vazidas, Vazi for short (my husband named him too)

Can you tell I get emotionally attached 🙃 I love my wet pets!