Bigger than 55 with a similar footprint?

Corbidorbidoodle

In the past you could get some really tall tanks that would fit a 55-gallon tank stand. Four, five, and even six-foot-deep tanks were around for a while in the eighties/nineties. They weren't common, but they existed. Maintenance on them would be a nightmare, but they were around for a while. The fish stores I frequent now tend to be smaller and have just "normal" tanks, but back in the day when there were bigger stores around, you'd see some interesting sized tanks out there. 

Custom Aquariums lets you build one in a 55-gallon footprint that's as tall as 96". (Might be a teensy bit unstable though.) Fish Tanks Direct has a wide selection of 48" wide aquariums in a variety of depths and heights from 55 gallons to 310 gallons.  When you get into the more "exotic" sizes the price goes way up, but they're out there if you want one and have the cash to spend.

I think the 75 is the sweet spot for 4’ tanks. Like @Guppysnailpointed out it’s 6” deeper than a 55g but if you have the space then it’s the way to go. Another option is the 60g breeder. It’s the same footprint as the 75 but shorter. If you’re growing plants that means more light gets to the bottom and the plants are easier to grow. 

when i was upgrading i had. 29 gallon for 13 years  i had the space for a 55 gallon or 75 gallon i chose the 55 gallon .. because with the 75 it was taller and i  m short. and would need a step stool and i did not want to climb every time  i did something to the tank .. I am happy with my 55 gallon size .. I do not need anything bigger 

Edited by Bev C