Vals wont grow

Val takes forever to acclimate and propagate. I had mine for many, many months before I saw a shoot. And when I moved them in the tank they took forcer

before I saw another. Honestly, they’ve been in my 75 gallon for five months and yesterdayI smiled at how many have propagated in the past couple of months. Give them a good home, feed them, don’t move them, and you will eventually have a lot of it. For months I wished I had bought more of it. 

• Like 2

I initially had stunted growth with my Val's.  They would grow a bit and then stop.  Part of the problem with my tank was too much gravel vac'ing near the Val's.  I was removing a lot of the 'good stuff', it seemed.  Now, the tank is well established and seems like every week or so, I see a new plant runner.  They are a beautiful plant.  

• Like 2

Normally it takes val for me about 2 months before it really starts taking off.  If there is any disturbance to the roots, it completely resets it for me.  Hope that helps!  My water parameters are 7.3 - 7.6 ph (depending on the time of the year) hard but not liquid rock.  

• Like 1

I struggled with Val too. I had it for about a year and it carpeted about half of my 120 with nothing but inert gravel and liquid fertilizer, but it would only get about three inches tall. When I redid my tank I put a few root tabs in the gravel and also upped the light (two fluval 3.0 one maxes out at 50, the other at 75) and now it reaches the surface. I am not sure what change helped it, the light or the root tabs, but if height is the issue I would try to see if the light could be increased!

Val is a quirky plant for me. I had a jungle of it in my 30 high then I added a big Madagascar lace plant and it all melted away to nothing. Not one val plant survived. I've got some more now and it's doing okay. Not great, not melting, just hanging around getting established. It's not one of my more reliable plants. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago I bought some "bulletproof" "low light" Jungle Val.  One plant bloomed, put out a few runners and died with the others.. Two years later, along with root tabs and Easy Green liquid the runners are still barely visible above the substrate.

Last month I added one 65 watt daylight 5000k  led bulb to my DIY setup  and a single Italian Val.  The Italian Val melted off  three or four leaves, and put out two runners  The Italian Val parent and runners look good, and are growing. 

The long dormant JV runners are looking  healthier and  two of them have grown enough to be noticeable.  It is too soon to tell if the whiter light or switching root tabs helped.

• Like 1

I got mine locally from a hobbyist in my town--they took off almost immediately. I almost regret them now, they are thugs and keep crowding my other plants. If I did nothing, my tank would just look like a cube of Val. I think they really really need to be acclimated to your water. I do have a 6500k light, but I don't use root tabs for them, and barely remember to use easy green. They are in eco complete.