Apistos group tank

NotDaleGribble

Just curious for my apisto fish keepers, getting a 75 gal and I will be focusing on apisto keeping as the main fish group. Not to ask the stupid how many fish can I get away with stocking level wise I’m just curious if I plant and cave my tank up can I have a decent group of them in there. 

Edited by Catwithcorndog
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 1:46 AM, Catwithcorndog said:

Probably will play it on the safe side and only do a few then. At least I got my honey gouramis. 

It is not that simple. You need to understand the behavior of the species you purchase; also you need to understand how the various species interact with the sexes if you buy both females and males. Last but least some species are very demanding on specific water parameters (ph/tds/gh) and others are more forgiving.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:35 AM, Catwithcorndog said:

Yes I understand that. I’m aware of what water reqs they need, when I said play it safe and get a few of them I meant a male and few females. Thanks for the help. 

With some apisto species you have to watch out for female/female aggression too so will depend on how many females you are looking at for a group and which species- a trio can be better than a pair though.  I think you could have two pairs of different species in a 4 ft tank if species are right.  I’ve never done that so take with a grain of salt but it may be something to look into.  

I'm going to say "it depends".

One? Many?

I say this because I had one particularly nasty male that killed competing males in a well-planted 125 gallon aquarium. He even attacked many females he wasn't interested in breeding with.

On the other hand, if you put like 50+ of them in the tank, they kind of give up being aggressive because the idea of fighting for territory is a lost cause. Sure they'll nip one another, but they won't get nasty and fight for keeps.

Ok so none of the above really helps you much! 🙂 

Practically, I'd say, probably three or four males with a couple females for each, tops. (Four males could be pushing it, wont know until you try).

As @_Eric_ mentioned, the females will also sometimes defend their territory from other females. And if they are spawning, they can get outright blood-thirsty.

I'd also say, be prepared that you might lose some of them in their struggle for dominance! Best to introduce them all together, instead of letting one male claim the entire tank, and then 6 months later, introducing a second or third.

Since the apistos stay on the bottom lurking around amongst the plants, rocks and wood, treat yourself to some very cool top or mid-tier dwelling dither fish. Without dithers in the tank, some apistos will remain shy and rarely come out of hiding (this is variable from fish to fish). Plus this is an excuse to get something cool like a bunch of coral red pencil fish!

And honestly, you might do better with a few different types, instead of all agassizii. Like agassizzi, trifaciata, etc.  The aggression will be a little lower. The fish might compete for the prime real estate.  But they won't regard each other as a threat to their lineage.  

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

Interesting I figured if I had a different type of apisto species it would instantly cause some issues. Any recs for dithers, I know or have seen/heard people usually run these fish a little hotter. I have some experience with some rasboras and guppies but I have seen many recommendations towards some dwarf neon rainbows which I was considering. A killer male in a 125 that's a nightmare scenario but something I need to be prepared for. Maybe I will consider adding in a cacatuoides group, females seem to be easier to find for them at least. 

I got to look into these coral pencil fish as well. 

On 9/6/2022 at 10:54 AM, Catwithcorndog said:

Interesting I figured if I had a different type of apisto species it would instantly cause some issues. Any recs for dithers, I know or have seen/heard people usually run these fish a little hotter. I have some experience with some rasboras and guppies but I have seen many recommendations towards some dwarf neon rainbows which I was considering. A killer male in a 125 that's a nightmare scenario but something I need to be prepared for. Maybe I will consider adding in a cacatuoides group, females seem to be easier to find for them at least. 

I got to look into these coral pencil fish as well. 

Cacatuoides are my least favor species of apisto; having said that they are a white water fish and can tolerate and breed in harder water - maybe up to 200-300 tds gh 7-8; though softer water is always preferred. They are highly polygamous - what this means is that the male will establish a territory. Females who are ready to breed that enter the territory will be welcomed but females who are not ready to breed will be attacked and if they can't escape or leave the territory will be killed. Females that breed will become highly aggressive towards the male and the male will need hiding spaces or areas away from the female with eggs/frys. So in a 75 you could have 1 or maybe 2 males and several females but you must scape the tank properly - lots of long drift wood that break the line of sight; large rocks and leaf litter can help. Also cockatoo are a bit like earth eaters and will scoop up substrate looking for food so having fine sand is beneficial to their long term health.

I think you’d have an easier time with a large group of Bolivian rams then you would Apistos. The harem breeding apistos will often tolerate 1:3-4 males:females but the pair breeders will not. Cacatuoides as described by @anewbieare harem breeders. Panduros, Njasseni are examples of pair breeders. I would try to get a group of fry not adults if you’re trying that kind of harem setup and if they are close to breeding age have extra tanks ready to roll. @Fish Folkcould comment on German Blue Rams as a group I think you’d be able to get away with a couple pairs. All of their fry will be very well tolerated typically. 

On 9/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I think you’d have an easier time with a large group of Bolivian rams then you would Apistos. The harem breeding apistos will often tolerate 1:3-4 males:females but the pair breeders will not. Cacatuoides as described by @anewbieare harem breeders. Panduros, Njasseni are examples of pair breeders. I would try to get a group of fry not adults if you’re trying that kind of harem setup and if they are close to breeding age have extra tanks ready to roll. @Fish Folkcould comment on German Blue Rams as a group I think you’d be able to get away with a couple pairs. All of their fry will be very well tolerated typically. 

german blue rams are pair forming; but are also a bit more fragile and not for inexperienced fish keepers; well if you want long living fishes.