Cuttlebones for calcium

BAT

Has anyone used cuttlebones for calcium?  I go through the wonder shells pretty quick to keep enough calcium in the tank for my snails. I had read a few sites about using cuttlebones and am wondering if anyone has any experience?

My Mystery  snails will not touch the cutterbone,  I had to buy some liquid calcium to add to the rapashy food but been thinking of trying the egg shells and crush it like a powder  like in this video so it will not mess up my black sand 

On 9/4/2022 at 11:30 PM, Bev C said:

My Mystery  snails will not touch the cutterbone,  I had to buy some liquid calcium to add to the rapashy food but been thinking of trying the egg shells and crush it like a powder  like in this video so it will not mess up my black sand 

The cuttle bone isn't for them to eat so they won't touch it. It's to add calcium to the water. Crushed eggs shells is also for the water not for feeding. To get calcium in their diet you need blanched veggies, green beans, or crab cuisine. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

@Cinnebuns thank you for the info when i bought the cutterbone   from my fish store they told me they will get on it like the shrimp ..  they  do not ,,, and i know it and the egg shells and wonder shells  dissolve in water   , I do feed plenty of vegetables carrots zucchini spinach and kale  but i still need the extra calcium because the snails shells cracks if i don ‘t that is why i been using liquid calcium for extra  so that is why i might try the egg shells  instead of the liquid calcium 

Edited by Bev C

I don't know how different these are from wonder shells or if they'd last any longer, but I've been using the vacation feeder blocks that are mostly calcium. My snails will all give them a nibble and I'm assuming they also dissolve into the water a bit, but my water's pretty hard, so they're mostly for the nibbling.

Edit: The big ones are a much better deal per oz than the packs of several small ones. We broke them into smaller chunks with wire cutters. You could also put them in a bag and hit them with a hammer.

Edited by Katherine
  • Like 2

I've used cuttlebone and they do work, just very, very slowly. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Slow changes to the water are often better than drastic ones. And the rate at which they melt away depends on your water. More acidic and they'll dissolve faster. Less acidic and they'll last longer. Mine did sink, but it takes them a day or two. Maybe longer. It's a cheap, easy way to add extra calcium.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:12 AM, BAT said:

I’m not well educated on snails care - what does the calcium in the water due vs. the calcium they eat?

Also, any suggested reading/watching?

The calcium in the water keeps their shells from dissolving, the calcium they eat helps grow strong new shells. That may be an overly simplistic explanation, but that's my understanding.

What kind of snails are you keeping?

I have wanted to try cuttlebone but haven’t been able to find any locally that is just plain cuttlebone that isn’t engineered or flavored. 
I use egg shells that I grind to powder with a coffee bean/spice grinder.  I add it directly and mixed with food. I started doing that when I saw the shrimp snacking on the ground egg shells. 

• Love 1

I have a fish coffe grinder to do the same. I ise for lots of other things too like make fry food and so many other things. I never thought I would need one for fish but it has come in handy more times that I can remember. I think that and a small digital scale are things serious fishkeeps should have. The scale is great for meds and making your own foods, fertilizers, among other things. 

• Like 1

You can get cuddlebones in the bird aisle of any big box store. I usually find a spot to float them and eventually they sink. They’re great long term and they accumulate biofilm and eventually the shrimp and or snails find them for this. Just a different way to do what we’re all trying to do - provide a necessary nutrient for our aquatic friends. 
In terms of potency and effect having aragonite or crushed coral is better but not everyone likes that aesthetically or has room in their hob or canister. 

On 9/5/2022 at 2:31 AM, Bev C said:

@Cinnebuns thank you for the info when i bought the cutterbone   from my fish store they told me they will get on it like the shrimp ..  they  do not ,,, and i know it and the egg shells and wonder shells  dissolve in water   , I do feed plenty of vegetables carrots zucchini spinach and kale  but i still need the extra calcium because the snails shells cracks if i don ‘t that is why i been using liquid calcium for extra  so that is why i might try the egg shells  instead of the liquid calcium 

If they have both calcium in the water and in their diet it's possible their shells are cracking for other reasons. It could be over mating. No matter how much you do, over mating will cause shells to crack. That is why I never keep more than 1 male per tank with multiple females. Even if you only have 2 snails and 1 is male it can be too much. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 9/5/2022 at 2:06 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Cuttlebones float at first, then sink. They dissolve slowly, last a long time, and I have seen nerites and mysteries graze on them. Not daily grazing, but sometimes. I guess they just know when they would like to have some.

I've seen the same with wonder shells. Very occasionally they will graze on them but not often.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 1:53 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

You can get cuddlebones in the bird aisle of any big box store. I usually find a spot to float them and eventually they sink. They’re great long term and they accumulate biofilm and eventually the shrimp and or snails find them for this. Just a different way to do what we’re all trying to do - provide a necessary nutrient for our aquatic friends. 
In terms of potency and effect having aragonite or crushed coral is better but not everyone likes that aesthetically or has room in their hob or canister. 

Here’s a little help so you don’t have to make so many trips out

A&E Cage Cuttlebone 4-6 5lb 4-6 in. Cuttle Bone Piece44; 5 lbs https://a.co/d/0aLWq8q