What is the best hang on the back filter and adjustable heater for a 40 gallon breeder?

Gucci Gourami

Depending on your preference I'd say one of the AquaClear HOB filters or a sponge filter of your choice (in my opinon, two Aquarium Co-Op medium sponge filters would do well depending on your stocking). For the heater it's really up to you, almost any will get the job done though many people like the Fluval heaters due to the warranty.

Agree with speakeasy, Aquaclear is the king of the HOBS in my opinion, I have no recommendations on healers I don't like the one I have and all my other tanks are goldfish and I don't use heaters. I don't like them, had one shock my fish once and I have broken so many from forgetting to unplug them during water changes lol, now I keep it horizontal at the bottom of the tank to avoid that from happening. 

I'm going to be setting up a 40 breeder before long, I plan on an Aquaclear 50, and sponge filter.  Though I'm debating on just doing two sponges... We shall see.

Heater I am probably going with eheim jager as they have generally been the best for me.  Might throw it behind an inkbird.   Either 100w or 125w (the jager heaters don't follow the conventional 5w/gal rule)