Ricefish or Guppies???

Yanni

I am having such a hard time trying to figure out what fish to keep in my outdoor tub. It is a 15-20 gallon pot that I'm using as a pond. It will be planted with marginals and underwater plants like lillies and guppy grass. I know that I want to keep some blue shrimp in the tub but I just can't decide whether to keep ricefish or guppies. I live in California so its practically hot all the time and keeping both species outdoors wouldn't be a problem. If you were able to keep either species outdoors, which would you pick and why? I am also keeping in mind breeding for profit as I would like to sell the fish rather easily and quickly. Soooooo which fish would you keep and why?

I'd keep rice fish, I just like them and there are fewer in shops so should be easier to sell.

Guppies I feel you have to get a good looking strain going before you'll get any money for them. Let's face how many people are over run with the flashy little things

I totally agree with you on the guppies having to be a nice strain. I've noticed that people usually have pretty specific preferences on fish like guppies

• Like 1

I also vote for rice fish. Cory has said in the past that mutt guppies always sell the best in stores. Even if you have the rarer strains, you either have to sell online or find some really nermy people in your area willing to buy them. 

Rice fish are easier to sell (at least in my area) and in my opinion, they are probably hardier. As we have seen in the past few years, cold snaps can happen, even in “subtropical” areas like Florida. If the temperature ever drops too much, I would worry much less over rice fish than guppies. 

Edited by AnimalNerd98
  • Like 1

Rice fish are easier to sell and in my opinion, they are probably hardier. As we have seen in the past few years, cold snaps can happen, even in “subtropical” areas like Florida. If the temperature ever drops too much, I would worry much less over rice fish than guppies.

That's a great point. I forgot to mention that the pond is relatively deep, about 2 feet deep so would ricefish do better with deeper ponds? The pot I have doesn't have the most surface are on the top but it is relatively deep which is why I'm planning on having a lily

On 8/26/2022 at 2:40 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

Rice fish are easier to sell and in my opinion, they are probably hardier. As we have seen in the past few years, cold snaps can happen, even in “subtropical” areas like Florida. If the temperature ever drops too much, I would worry much less over rice fish than guppies. 

I don't know how cold it gets there, but I don't move my guppies inside until the air temperature is forecast to get below 55°.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 1:32 AM, Yanni said:

I am having such a hard time trying to figure out what fish to keep in my outdoor tub. It is a 15-20 gallon pot that I'm using as a pond. It will be planted with marginals and underwater plants like lillies and guppy grass. I know that I want to keep some blue shrimp in the tub but I just can't decide whether to keep ricefish or guppies. I live in California so its practically hot all the time and keeping both species outdoors wouldn't be a problem. If you were able to keep either species outdoors, which would you pick and why? I am also keeping in mind breeding for profit as I would like to sell the fish rather easily and quickly. Soooooo which fish would you keep and why?

I just saw some amazing ricefish today that were new to me - they have a platinum strip along the top line, making them a beautiful choice for a tub or other setting where you will be enjoying but them from above. I don't remember the species name, but they were in the most recent Dan's Fish video (yesterday?). Guppies are nice, but i think they are better enjoyed from the side, plus it's harder to find hardy lines after so many years of hobbyist breeding. I keep Endlers for this reason, but if I could do an outside tub year round I'd consider ricefish. You could probably keep the more tropical ones where you are - the Japanese varieties can do cooler water and more seasonal variation that you probably get (sounds like I am talking myself into a tub, lol).

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 11:50 AM, Yanni said:

That's a great point. I forgot to mention that the pond is relatively deep, about 2 feet deep so would ricefish do better with deeper ponds? The pot I have doesn't have the most surface are on the top but it is relatively deep which is why I'm planning on having a lily

I cannot comment on if they do better in deeper ponds or not, but I am sure they would have no problem. I have seen people in Japan that keep them in pots no larger than 2 or 3 gallons, and there are dozens of ricefish packed in there. Cory and Dean have kept them in ponds outside with ice over the top and they're still fine. Hence, why I said that I worry much less over rice fish than guppies in terms of cold tolerance. 

• Like 2

A flashy solid colored guppy like the Blue Hawaiian Moscows, the Red Albinos, blue grass any of the purples and as mentioned some of the dragons whose females are insanely gorgeous will sell well. The only issue with a pond is that if the strain does not breed true you could be SOL so you’ll need to pay 30-50$ for breeder trios from a reputable source and I’d start with 2-5 trios. In Cali you’ve got a plethora of LFS’ you could sell to. 

Ricefish, I think they’re here to stay I don’t think this is a flash in the pan but the Miyuki and the more common types may not sell as well as the lame and some of the koi type varietals. They would be great in fall, winter and spring in Cali but summer they’ll struggle. You’d need a lot of aeration for them. 

I would go with the one you want to hang with the most. I think you can sell either one but Imagine yourself sitting by the pond - which one would make you happiest? 

• Like 2