Background Info

Ahughes1805

I have just used this on my main tank, I can't move the tank so anything that goes behind has to be water proof and rigid enough to slot down without ceasing. As well as being bendy enough to manoeuvreScreenshot_2022-08-18-14-03-37-51_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg.e27fe8f10bb55f1410948c116585945d.jpg

For clarity it is plain on the other side. 

And here in situ showing off my algae nicely (no wonder my Otto's are tubby)

IMG20220814151130.jpg.7b99038bdd3a9acad47b7df583cdc8fa.jpg

Oh and that stuff is really cheap it was £3 a sheet 120cm x 60cm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I just use the cheap black craft paint (typically around $0.97 a bottle at Walmart.) I apply it with a cheap disposable foam brush and use my hair dryer to speed up the paint drying time so I can apply multiple coats. The total cost for the brush and paint is less than $2. and it looks and works great. I can do three or four coats in a half hour by using the hairdryer to accelerate the paint drying process. Should I ever need to remove it, it scrapes off very easily using a Scotchbrite pad or scraper.

• Thanks 1

One of my tanks has black poster board taped to the back, the other I used cheap black acrylic craft paint ($0.97 at Walmart). From the front, there’s no difference in how they look. The acrylic paint scrapes off easily so I’m not worried if I ever need to remove it from the glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One I haven’t seen yet that I like is black silicone. I especially like it if you want to glue insulation to the back. I use a plastic paint spatula to smooth it out. The world’s your oyster with black. Black static cling is very easy to come by at craft stores if you ever want to change colors down the road.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
The color of the spatula doesn’t matter lol