Snail IDs

Sheri

Looks like a nerite. Possibly a batman nerite. I recently got one and love it. I found out today it doesn't let go very easily when you try to pick it up. At least mine doesn't. It was the first time I gave up on picking up a snail before it did lol. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

That is a lovely olive nerite. The Batman nerites have a very different shell appearance. The olives are more brown than green. They do not eat commercial fish food as even algae wafer contain animal protein and they are algae eaters only, however appreciate Dr. Tim’s pure spirulina powder (a tiny little goes a long way I moisten a toothpick wipe it on a paper towel and stick it in the powder 1/4 of the way then swish about the tank) Several other of my nerite types will eat steamed veggies but I have never seen my olive ones eat veggies. They eat soft algae. My nerites stick to hard scape and glass. I have only seen one of them cruise across a plant. They sleep tucked under the gravel.  Often along the glass or attached under harscape so be certain to locate them before vigorously gravel vacuuming and check each hard scape item you may remove from the tank.  They nap most often during they day.
If it is a female they lay eggs on hard scape however they do not hatch in freshwater so no fear of overpopulation. The eggs look like white dots. I’ll include a photo of my eggs.  They need water above 7 ph for the shell to not erode as well as calcium and magnesium in the water for healthy shells. Best window washing snail available jut don’t overclean your glass so it can get enough algae to eat. Congratulations on your new aquatic family member. Edit to add- they will escape the tank so be sure to have a tight fitting lid.  They escape if they are seeking more food, wanting to lay eggs because they lay in saltwater, find a mate, poor water and generally just because they can.

D208F15D-F145-4386-BE3C-C56EEDB9AC29.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

Thank you @Guppysnail!  That is so helpful. I will take out the algae wafer and give it some algae covered rocks from the tank during quarantine.  I am so relieved that it is not a pond snail.  Is there anything special I should look out for during quarantine?

On 8/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, Sheri said:

Thank you @Guppysnail!  That is so helpful. I will take out the algae wafer and give it some algae covered rocks from the tank during quarantine.  I am so relieved that it is not a pond snail.  Is there anything special I should look out for during quarantine?

No I rinse my nerites in tank water the same temp as what they are in and let them crawl in a cup of fresh tank water for half an hour then put them in tanks. They do not host things that cross species to affect fish. Only what’s on their shell or under it.  QT is still a good practice though since planaria and hydra etc can be on them. I now have 42 nerites and never had issues. I have not had to clean glass in any tank since I’ve gotten them. 😁

On 8/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, Katherine said:

Hmm... I thought it looked more like a black racer based on the swirl shape.

It could be but my black racer is solid black no brown. He behaves the same as my olives do so same info for either or any nerite actually. 🤗

On 8/8/2022 at 9:47 AM, Guppysnail said:

It could be but my black racer is solid black no brown. He behaves the same as my olives do so same info for either or any nerite actually. 🤗

I have 2 solid black, and one brown that is the exact same shape as the solid black. I assumed he was the same type, but who knows. I suppose it doesn't matter a whole lot.

• Like 1