Wonky Water Stocking Suggestions?

ADMWNDSR83

After a second failure in my shell dweller tank, I've decided to rethink the stocking and design.  I have quite acidic water, so I began looking at some stocking ideas for that.  However, I've noticed that general stocking specifies acidic, soft water, and mine seems to be acidic and ROCK HARD!  I don't have specific numbers this morning, but can get them if someone has some ideas and needs specifics.  With the general info, does anyone happen to have some stocking suggestions that may be able to work in my wonky water?

• Like 1

Interesting. Can you please share more precise measurements for pH? GH? For KH?

Depending on how extreme your parameters are, several species to consider include:

African rift lake cichlids. There really are interesting varieties; but having struggled with your shell dwellers… you might be discouraged trying others.

Others to consider:

Congo Tetras

24E0A621-3F0B-466B-8B36-6A4B066A8E85.jpeg.1d05c4e9af72ec4f0f18cef93aa14f16.jpeg

Odessa Barbs

49C5E81F-910C-46EB-A0CF-12E0BFE5586B.jpeg.4dd897bdd4ed0e8d2e8e8891f63ca1f2.jpeg

Florida Flagfish

915D389E-8EC3-4F5F-954B-AFC459EF46D8.jpeg.bff6e41e1b55c224686880f807681943.jpeg

Kribensis (several interesting varieties)

29A6891A-3941-41CC-A96F-ED4D33F54DE7.jpeg.db17b69fd7bfd014416f1f173de175f5.jpeg

Pupfish sp. (hard to legally acquire; can be VERY aggressive)

99C59F26-CEA7-4184-A11E-ED0E8DD280BE.jpeg.7d26de3cb43b715bcd9b512c504af790.jpeg

OK, on further investigation I am thinking incorrectly.  My pH in the tank in question is actually quite alkaline, at about 8.2.  I will note that, because this was my multi tank, the substrate is crushed aragonite, so that buffers it heavily.    According to my test strips, my gh is at or above 300, with kh between 120 and 180.  

I think what has happened twice now to my multis is that my tap water is acidic, and when I do a water change there seems to be too much of a swing for them before the aragonite does it's deal.

I have been looking at kribs for some time as a possibility if I ever had a meltdown, so I may look deeper into them if I can rectify my ph situation.

A lot of people here are more knowledgeable than me, but in your position I would try to reduce the volume and frequency of water changes, because your tap water is really the only thing holding you back. At a steady 8.2 you will be able to keep most species comfortable. Plants have been the easiest solution for me, Pothos in particular. I use a Pothos + Anubias combo in a tank with similar parameters, and I only do water changes to replenish trace minerals/nutrients. Both plants have also held steady in higher PH. 

If you prefer a bare, plant-free, rift lake type aquarium, I think you can still get away with Pothos. There are lots of videos where people use hang on back filters as pothos planters, etc. People use aluminum plants, lucky bamboo, and others. This one seems to be controversial for some reason, but if you hate plants, the next thing I would recommend is anoxic filtration, deep sand or deep gravel, etc. 

Good luck!

On 7/29/2022 at 3:16 AM, ADMWNDSR83 said:

After a second failure in my shell dweller tank, I've decided to rethink the stocking and design.  I have quite acidic water, so I began looking at some stocking ideas for that.  However, I've noticed that general stocking specifies acidic, soft water, and mine seems to be acidic and ROCK HARD!  I don't have specific numbers this morning, but can get them if someone has some ideas and needs specifics.  With the general info, does anyone happen to have some stocking suggestions that may be able to work in my wonky water?

Blackwater tank! Corydoras, barbs, minnows, etc.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:17 PM, ADMWNDSR83 said:

OK, on further investigation I am thinking incorrectly.  My pH in the tank in question is actually quite alkaline, at about 8.2.  I will note that, because this was my multi tank, the substrate is crushed aragonite, so that buffers it heavily.    According to my test strips, my gh is at or above 300, with kh between 120 and 180.  

I would highly recommend the off-gassing test for your situation to get real values.

1.  Test the sample out of the tap for everything (ammonia, nitrates, KH, GH, PH)
2.  Take that same sample and aerate it for 24 hours with an airstone, retest.
3.  Compare those values in 2 to your tank parameters.

So I ran a test on another tank which is unbuffered, as well as tap water straight.  Neither have any chlorine, which I found interesting.  The tap water is slightly less hard, but still over 150, and the alkalinity of the other tank (My heavily planted angel tank) is near 0, while straight tap is hovering around 80.  Both samples look to run between 6.8 and 7.2 for ph.  I think part of the decision I have to make is if I want to break this tank down completely and remove the aragonite, or leave that in for my new plans.