Shutting down tank- gravel?

BAT

Depends what the substrate is....  If you don't value saving it, by all means don't.  Find a way to reuse it or repurpose it.

-Planted substrate I would take out to the herb garden.
-Gravel I clean really well, rinse really well, dry it on a towel for 2-3 days and rotate progressively through that process, store it in a bag or bucket covered.
-Sand, I would do the same thing as mentioned with gravel, but you can't really use a towel to dry it.  Likely you'd need a metal tray, foil, or some paper product.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

I've finally emptied my old gravel bucket. It's been very handy to have to hand. I've set up two tanks with it.

Used it in bird baths to create beaches so insects and smaller birds can drink safely.

I've used to weight doorstops. 

It is really handy have a bucket of gravel to hand. Someone was using big water bottles to store it in (after cleaning and drying) that looked pretty clever.

Cleaning and drying now saves a lot of messing when you want to use it so worth the work.

• Love 2

Gravel is forever.   I would keep it if there is any possibility of reusing it in a future aquarium.  Alternatively, if you know someone who is into house or container plants, a top coat of gravel looks better than soil discourages weeds and digging animals, helps retain moisture...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

If you don’t want and are going to toss is put up on Craigslist or Facebooks seller page. I’ll would give it a away. If it’s still wet some people will pay other just like free stuff to set more tanks. I know it sounds like a hassle but I look at as helping the next guy so he doesn’t try to use credit to set up a tank. Or do what what ever you want with it. The other all have fine practical ideas.

Edited by Brandon p

If it is gravel, I’d totally clean it, sun dry it in a thin layer (it’s summer in Texas atm, so this wouldn’t take 30 minutes right now 😂) and store in a bucket from the hardware store. Handy stuff to have around.