Vintage Gumball Machine Aquarium Build

My lid finally came in! And it was about 1/16” off because professor genius here (thats me 🙃) can’t do CAD accurately. So instead of making another that is the right size, what do I do? I cut the flippin’ rim off the bowl 😂. What can I say? It fits!

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

• Love 4

• 4 months later...

It has been a very long time, but I have decided to call off this project until I find a good filter that fits. My mason jar filter design is too leaky for regular use, so I will have to wait for some micro-canister filter to come around, or figure out how to make a PVC pipe filter fit. Until then, I am starting a new project linked below. Thanks for sticking around everyone, and if I ever find something that works, I will post it here.

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's such a cool idea, I hate to see you abandon it too! 

It's really hard to make silicone seal when it is used for anchorage, especially under pressure as it's not very strong and flexes and cracks. I don't know if any of this stuff will help but there's a small industry built around designing marijuana bongs out of mason jars. Almost any configuration imaginable has been created. Some are even stainless steel with threaded hose fittings.

The JarPipe has a large, plastic center pipe that looks similar to what you're doing and a threaded mouthpiece that could be used as-is or reversed to attach the small hose:

Mason Jar Water pipe Kit! | eBay

These people make a threaded metal top for fermenting in a mason jar:

Wide Mouth Canning Jar Lid with Half Coupling. NorCal Brewing Solutions

This one is a hookah, so it comes with flexible hoses and an internal bubbler that really resembles an aquarium airstone:

Review of the Mason Jar Bong by Glass Lung (The Stoned Mason) — CHRONIC CRAFTER (thechroniccrafter.com)

And this one is high-end stuff. All polished metal with threaded connectors and a variety of fittings. It's over $100 though!

Mason Jar Water Pipe – Ember&Ash (emberandashproducts.com)

These links are to downloads of hundreds of mason jar tops and pipe fittings for 3D printing, and most are free. I see a couple right in the beginning that may work for you.

Officially, the following are known as "Highdeas"! 😎 🤣

mason jar bong 3D printing models | Mito3D

▷ mason jar bong 3d models 【 STLFinder 】

Free STL file New 2021 Mason Jar Bong Lid・Design to download and 3D print・Cults (cults3d.com)

Bong for Mason Jar 3D model 3D printable | CGTrader

Mason Jar Bong Lid (mybuckytop.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks @dasaltemelosguy. I already tried a 3D printed slip connector, but I didn’t think about a threaded one. I will have to try that as soon as I find the right size.

Now I don’t have to abandon it! Thanks guys! I probably won’t do anything to this until the TV tank is done (I only have so much time per day 🙃), but I will keep a lookout for parts and fittings that might help.

• Like 5

On 1/17/2023 at 11:35 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

It's such a cool idea, I hate to see you abandon it too! 

It's really hard to make silicone seal when it is used for anchorage, especially under pressure as it's not very strong and flexes and cracks. I don't know if any of this stuff will help but there's a small industry built around designing marijuana bongs out of mason jars. Almost any configuration imaginable has been created. Some are even stainless steel with threaded hose fittings.

The JarPipe has a large, plastic center pipe that looks similar to what you're doing and a threaded mouthpiece that could be used as-is or reversed to attach the small hose:

Mason Jar Water pipe Kit! | eBay

These people make a threaded metal top for fermenting in a mason jar:

Wide Mouth Canning Jar Lid with Half Coupling. NorCal Brewing Solutions

This one is a hookah, so it comes with flexible hoses and an internal bubbler that really resembles an aquarium airstone:

Review of the Mason Jar Bong by Glass Lung (The Stoned Mason) — CHRONIC CRAFTER (thechroniccrafter.com)

And this one is high-end stuff. All polished metal with threaded connectors and a variety of fittings. It's over $100 though!

Mason Jar Water Pipe – Ember&Ash (emberandashproducts.com)

These links are to downloads of hundreds of mason jar tops and pipe fittings for 3D printing, and most are free. I see a couple right in the beginning that may work for you.

Officially, the following are known as "Highdeas"! 😎 🤣

mason jar bong 3D printing models | Mito3D

▷ mason jar bong 3d models 【 STLFinder 】

Free STL file New 2021 Mason Jar Bong Lid・Design to download and 3D print・Cults (cults3d.com)

Bong for Mason Jar 3D model 3D printable | CGTrader

Mason Jar Bong Lid (mybuckytop.com)

@dasaltemelosguy You never disappoint, sir!  Beyond my expectations!  Genius!

• Like 5