Vintage Gumball Machine Aquarium Build

As some of you may remember, I started researching filter solutions for micro tanks a few months ago. After getting the knowledge I needed from that thread(thanks everyone!) I set to work designing a filter, over and over again since I couldn’t decide what I wanted. I think I know what I will do now, so I decided to start this thread to keep me motivated.

My plan for the light is simple. I will 3D print a lid that fits over the bowl, and install 18 LEDs in a piece of CNC machined acrylic that fits in the lid. The cherry on top is connecting a power switch to the original gumball dial for light control.

For the filter, I will 3D print a custom bulkhead that houses both the intake and return lines to keep it as small as possible. The return line will run inside the intake line and split out at the filter, which is a 3” PVC pipe filter I designed awhile back. It will fit in the gumball machine base so I won’t have to look at it 😁

I have already sanded the machine itself, so all that is left is to paint it, but I will do that last so as to not scratch it while test-fitting various components of the build. 

I have attached a few photos of what is done so far, and I will update this thread every time I get something done. Enjoy!

The gumball machine before sanding:

3E04E138-C4FE-4CF4-9993-61E65EF60CD2.jpeg.1fa818bd7aa8c3df0b9672c0e0e4f1a5.jpeg

After sanding:6CDBEF87-A2C9-4F00-990C-7B844F76B161.jpeg.7a7a5c59f9a1b0854af2cb90c54e2f05.jpeg

Custom Bulkhead design:

EF59BDED-CB08-4D8A-B4E5-8E651ACFCE12.jpeg.8b49d1fdf5affbf5d2b9b6866cf7d227.jpeg

Acrylic that the LEDs will attach to:

76EDF125-16C2-43DA-B269-4D659216366C.jpeg.d115699349b291686e2637d163d54f1a.jpeg

Edited by Guppy Guy
Weird image placement
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

After literal hours of grinding, filling, and cutting, I finally have the old gumball slide out, leaving room for the filters. Now, I am going to hop on the computer and model two different mason jar lids as adapters for the tubing, and change my intake to have a lip for extra waterproofing.

image.jpg

• Like 3

So here is my (almost) completed bulkhead. The only reason this one isn’t completed is because the print failed halfway through, but the bottom still works as a proof of concept. The inner, small tube is the return line, and it puts water in the tank from the top of the bulkhead. The larger tube is the intake line, and water comes in through holes on the side of the bulkhead. At the filter below the tank (still making that), the small tube will detach from the large one and go directly to the pump. This complicated setup is so I only have to look at one piece of equipment in the entire tank instead of two. Let me know what you think!

Also, it may be a few days before I update again. I have been having software issues with my CNC machine, and the filter is a good challenge that I still need to figure out. Don’t worry though, I will be working on it whenever there is time. 🙃

85D76F98-84B2-40DC-B57A-8087A86F5A0A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I just finished what may be my favorite part of the entire build. I wanted the original quarter dial to have a purpose, so I added a rotary switch to it as a light control! The only difference in appearance is a small nut holding the switch, but nothing that looks awful. 

Now I have a question for those following; Should I glue a 2022 quarter in the original hole? Leave a “Love” reaction for yes, and a “Sad” reaction for no. Whichever one has the most votes by the end of tomorrow is what I will do.

350C38B8-8628-417B-A549-65017B9FCA06.jpeg

7551AE28-EABB-4319-B707-9A9E992B3EC9.jpeg

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5

I finished the light! It uses 18 3 volt LEDs (12 white, 6 blue) wired in parallel. It is mounted on a CNC milled piece of acrylic (I finally figured out the software 🙃), and then sanded for a cloudy look that hides my bad wiring. Next I will 3D print a lid that the light attaches to and fits over the tank. 

With there being more “loves” then “sads” on reactions, I went with the 2022 quarter. It’s just the only 2022 quarter I could find was smaller, thinner, and more coppery-er. I used a penny as I probably already lost my quarter, but it looks good nonetheless. I will replace it with a quarter when I get another. What do you think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 7/20/2022 at 9:44 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How many gallons due you think the gumball machine will hold? Any stocking ideas yet? Well, I mean, you’re guppy guy, so..

I think maybe guppies?

The bowl I am using is a gallon and a half (≈5.7), and including the displacement from substrate/decorations and the added volume from the filter, I estimate it to be about 1.25 gallons, but I will clarify once it is filled(and hopefully not leaking).

How'd you know it'd be guppies? I am thinking I will start the tank off with some of my mutts, and if all goes well for awhile, I will maybe put in some higher end guppies such as green dragons. I don't want to put anything bigger then guppies in it though due to its small size.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While I am waiting on a few electronic parts for the light to get here, as well as printing the tank lid, I applied a coat of primer and dry-fit the filter system. Now you can hopefully see where I was going with the return line inside of the intake. I need to get more silicone though, as the stuff I used is old and crumbly. The pump will go inside the jar filter after I figure out how to route the power cord.

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

After I finished painting and letting it dry for a few days, I forgot to take a picture before starting on the electrical components for the light. Hopefully this one will suffice. 

I cut out 2 holes in the back of the machine; one for the USB input, and one for the lights output. Inside there is a buck converter set to 3 volts to step down the USB voltage to the LED voltage. Having this means I can also make a USB to barrel converter and power it from any wall pack over 3 volts. Wiring is only halfway done, as I still need to create the connector array as well as shorten a few cables, but my janky proof of concept worked good. I’ll share more when it’s almost done.

825ECDF7-16C7-4EE9-8DCB-31944E2ECE4F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

This is an awesome project! It's exciting to see someone doing mechanical and electrical stuff like this!

What CAM software did you use for your CNC programming?

Been looking to try out more options since I don't have MasterCAM anymore. Writing Gcode without it is absolutely painful.

Also. What kind of CNC mill do you have access to? I am a few months away from buying a small CNC milling machine. Nothing fancy though.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:37 AM, Minanora said:

This is an awesome project! It's exciting to see someone doing mechanical and electrical stuff like this!

What CAM software did you use for your CNC programming?

Been looking to try out more options since I don't have MasterCAM anymore. Writing Gcode without it is absolutely painful.

Also. What kind of CNC mill do you have access to? I am a few months away from buying a small CNC milling machine. Nothing fancy though.

Sorry for the late reply, only just seeing this.

As far as CAD/CAM goes, I designed the diffuser plate in Autodesk Fusion 360 as a .STL object. You can use CAM in fusion 360, and it is very powerful, but even after 6 months, I don’t know what the heck I’m doing. Instead, I took a screenshot of the file from the top, and imported it into Inkscape. From there, I traced the bitmap of the picture, saved it as an .SVG file, and then fired up Carbide Create. I changed the stock size to 127x127mm (the size of the diffuser) and lined up the SVG as close as I could. From there, it was as simple as creating a few tool paths for the machine to follow. (I used a 1/16” bit for pocketing and drilling the holes, and a 1/8” bit for cutting it out.). It came out surprisingly accurate, I didn’t even have to post-process it.

Laugh at me if you want, but I found it easier to do that then get fusion 360 CAM to work 😂.

As far as my machine goes, I have a Sainsmart 3018 pro. It has been a great machine as far as hardware, but they give you nothing for software. It is also worth noting that bit sizes are limited to 1/8”, which is ok for most projects as the machine is fairly small anyways. My motherboard has been acting funny lately as well, as it is still accurate and all, but it won’t turn off with the power switch. Better off then on! 🙃 I will be upgrading it to an Arduino running GRBL sooner or later. It is probably not sainsmart’s fault for the motherboard. I keep it in my garage, and in South Carolina, the humidity is always 100000%, so that may or may not be the issue 😅. Let me know if you have any more questions.

After finally getting silicone for the filter, I installed the bulkhead and filter nipple connector into the bowl and filter lid. I will drill a hole for the power cord after the silicone drys. With that done, all thats left is to make the lid (waiting on a friend for that) and assemble everything!

E35C1DD9-503E-43C3-9CC0-051543352671.jpeg

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Like 2

I just assembled the filter, and it works! Everything about the design works as intended, except the seals. Both of the 3D printed connectors have a slow leak. I actually filled the tank up all the way, but with the added pressure, the leak got a little bigger, so I quickly drained it. I will probably silicone one of the seals, and redesign the other for better performance.

A568DA1F-9DD9-48E8-A7F8-68AAD4668B21.gif

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• 2 weeks later...

I know it has been awhile, but I have reason. A small leak can be hard to fix, especially one that is a removable joint. I finally decided(after overthinking the issue for 2 weeks) that I would silicone the 3D printed connector to try and seal the gaps(drying now) and permanently silicone the hoses to the bulkhead. With this method, filter maintenance will be a pain, but considering that it is completely hidden, and hopefully leak-proof, it will be worth it. After the silicone cures for a few days, I will give it a leak test and hopefully add fish! 

I still need a part for the lid that hasn’t come in yet, but as soon as it gets here, I will give an update for the light.

image.jpg

• Like 6

After test fitting the filter with the new seals, it was near impossible to get it put together dry, and after adding water and livestock, it will be impossible. I decided to redo the filter and put it elsewhere. The design and connections will be the same, just the location will be different. Where it will go, I haven’t decided yet. I will figure that out eventually. In the meantime, I am getting plans together for a new project (*hint* 📺), and that is almost ready to start. 

• Like 4

After overthinking the filter (again), I decided to keep the original idea, and just change the connections. I re-routed the return line outside the intake, and it goes in its respected connector on the filter lid.

@Cory, if you see this, I would love to see the coop come out with a silicone tube that doesn’t dry out and clog. I wasted an hour of my life trying to unclog the tube, and all it did was bust the side of the tube out, hence the tape. The original lids always either crack or don’t seal.

image.jpg