These neons both had what I believed to be scarring. If you scroll up a few post to their last photos in the specimen container you will see the marks but they were almost gone.

They remained in treatment for a few extra weeks to see if it would resolve. During this time it got better. But now one of the neons that was added back two days ago looks worse (spot brighter white, raised) and has been removed. 

@Colu Do I do level 3 salt at this point or something else?

@nabokovfan87

On 8/13/2022 at 12:13 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

These neons both had what I believed to be scarring. If you scroll up a few post to their last photos in the specimen container you will see the marks but they were almost gone.

Yeah, that's what I was looking at.

I would go for the whole thing.  It could be a secondary fungal or bacterial issue.  You can start with salt, level 3, add air, then monitor. 

Second to that would then be your ich-X and your normal bacterial meds you've been using. 

You can also do all of these at once, just follow the directions on the bacterial med, and then whatever the volume change is larger between ich-X and the bacterial med when you do a WC.

• Thanks 1

Woke up this morning in a bit of a panic. I qt the fish but didn’t medicate it. My logic was that I wanted to do two more water changes (did 1 yesterday) before starting salt, JUST IN CASE there was still salt in there from last time. So I thought, what if this is a fast progressing illness and I failed to treat? 😳 Rest assured, the fishy is fine. 

Did the last water change and did level 3 salt. Sheesh. Looks like SO MUCH SALT for one little fishy. 
36F8F2DF-4462-41F6-A37F-D55F79164BD5.jpeg.13dbe2aeb4c060a10f132465cb5e0939.jpeg

Yesterday I had taken out the carbon pouch I made and set it on a rag on the floor to dry. Couldn’t find it this morning? Well, seems like a cat had fun with it and dragged it under the kitchen table. Lol. Think the carbon is still effective? It had 2 weeks of use. Carbon usually remains effective for one month, right? I’d like to use it again after Maracyn.

34A0D39F-DED8-450E-A0B2-B42CE2FCDB65.jpeg.84b527d232af034ff9e3b0be0dd6d263.jpeg

Added the Maracyn at the same time as the salt. Dissolved in a cup of tank water first. Apparently I inhaled some when dumping it in the cup. For anyone that’s wondering, it produces a bitter flavor in the back of the throat. Fun. Huffing Maracyn at 5AM. Fortunately I’m only allergic to the ‘cillins, not the ‘cyns. Maybe it will keep me healthy. 

Did a baseline ammonia reading and got a zero. Cool. Yesterday I did add some Fritz Zyme 7. Seems medication always kills bacteria, and I had ammonia readings last go around. If that happens again, and I fully expect it to with an antibacterial and a truckload of salt, I’ll do the usual Prime band-aid. Frowned upon by several folks, yeah. But imagine how much meds I would go through otherwise to keep the appropriate level. And then the dosing with fresh meds whereas some meds would have already diluted in the water, etc. Could OD the fish. I’m not chancing it.
It’s a 5 day treatment, so it’s not forever.

Lastly, I put the lid on the tote and made sure the extra airstone was on the other side of the tank.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

Sounds like you are taking really good care of your little guy. Carbon fills quick but how fast is entirely dependent on how much it’s filtering from your source water, feeding, fish waste etc. to remove meds I always use a fresh bag to be safe since I can’t test but I’m not certain it needed. 
it does fill much faster than 30 days. The 30 day mark is something companies invented so they can make a reliable sale every 30 days with the normal floss cartridges. If they said weekly or biweekly it would deter folks as they would see the money sink those cartridges become. 
All that said give it a go after a large water change. It should still help and your water changes will eventually dilute any leftover so far it does not matter. 

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 7:21 AM, Guppysnail said:

Sounds like you are taking really good care of your little guy. Carbon fills quick but how fast is entirely dependent on how much it’s filtering from your source water, feeding, fish waste etc. to remove meds I always use a fresh bag to be safe since I can’t test but I’m not certain it needed. 
it does fill much faster than 30 days. The 30 day mark is something companies invented so they can make a reliable sale every 30 days with the normal floss cartridges. If they said weekly or biweekly it would deter folks as they would see the money sink those cartridges become. 
All that said give it a go after a large water change. It should still help and your water changes will eventually dilute any leftover so far it does not matter. 

I can just use fresh. I have more in the carton and I don’t use it for anything else. 

38659B94-639C-40E6-A68E-74BF0B93D216.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 2:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Did the last water change and did level 3 salt. Sheesh. Looks like SO MUCH SALT for one little fishy. 

Yeah.  You'd be shocked to see someone mix up 5-10G of saltwater and to see exactly how much it takes.  For context, there's a video of Cory doing the ich-X+Salt on the 800G for ich and it's just a cartoonish amount.  It's not entirely what you'd use for straight salt water either. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah.  You'd be shocked to see someone mix up 5-10G of saltwater and to see exactly how much it takes.  For context, there's a video of Cory doing the ich-X+Salt on the 800G for ich and it's just a cartoonish amount.  It's not entirely what you'd use for straight salt water either. 

Oh yeah, you’ve posted that link before. Probably earlier in this thread. That was insane. I couldn’t imagine dosing such a huge tank!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

@nabokovfan87 @Colu  What do you think I should do with this guy after treatment?  He's little and gets picked on, and my school is not big enough I guess.  To increase the school the next guys would have to go through quarantine for a good while.  Think I should put him in the snail tank?  He'd be the lone fish in there for a bit but at least I could keep an eye on him (can't see him through the tote, and he's been through quite enough medication already) until the next gang is ready to go to display tank. 

On 8/17/2022 at 2:26 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, moving the little one to the snail tank makes sense to help keep him from getting picked on.  When you add to the size of the school try to move things around in the tank and it'll reset territory for the tank as well. 

There’s a whole bunch of anacharis floating around in the snail tank and it’s kinda messy, but maybe he’d appreciate the cover. Might make him feel more secure.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:54 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Fish are looking about the same. They ate well this morning, and every day, really. I’ve been feeding them brine shrimp and krill flakes.

Currently on drip acc, about the rejoin the gang just as lights go out for the night. Quarantine tote is going to stay up as I monitor things. Just in case.

D2E1C330-664D-45BC-A677-98B665C812D8.jpeg

3BBD8D3B-2D0B-4295-B8FF-D08CD41CE135.jpeg

33DDEA49-EDBD-4034-BA31-AD6C798586C1.jpeg

8DFE8B2D-EA73-469F-B612-4AFEBAA6136B.jpeg

F095F8B4-1F4A-4AD2-A6BD-832FCCF2AF68.jpeg

Hi, thanks for sharing those pictures with us. Your fish is really cute. Can you tell me the name of this fish? Because I don't know much about fish but I love them and that is why I have made my account over here. I am also thinking about buying a aquarium and for that I need a lot of info which I am sure I will find it over here. I also want to buy college papers online but I am not worried because I have found https://studyclerk.com/buy-college-papers website with having good reviews through which I am gonna take help. Can you also give me suggestions about aquarium? Thanks in advance.

I love it :)

Edited by DaveDiederich
  • Like 1

I know time is the big one. Is the little one getting any special foods?

On 8/23/2022 at 4:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

8/14-8/18 Maracyn / level 3 salt

8/18-today level 3 salt

50% water change on the 18th or?

Typically I won't dose salt back to back to back like that. I might add a % dose based on the water change. But not a full dose.