I rescued some guppies - updates now included.

Cinnebuns

I really hope by posting this i don't jinx things and wake up to dead fish. 

So I took on my first rescue today.  A lady I have been been in contact with for several months texted me a few days ago. She had been considering getting rid of all of her guppies for awhile. As is common, she acted on bad advice and became over run with fry. She still couldn't decide if she really wanted to part with them at first.

Then one morning she woke up and all the male's tails has been shredded. We assume it was the male betta. She had added a betta to the tank hoping it would eat the fry. The betta ended up leaving the fry alone but doing a number on these poor guy's tails. 

In addition to sharing what will hopefully be a nice recovery for these guys, I want to make sure I am doing the right thing for them. They are currently in a 5 gallon hospital tank I set up today. I have added maracyn and 1 tsp per gallon salt.  I'm thinking the salt can be bumped up since they are guppies but I wanted to start small. 

One question I have is regarding a male I had put in there earlier in the day with fin rot. I know fin rot can be contagious. Am I inviting disaster by treating him with these 3 who are already injured?

Any advice is welcome tyvm. 

20220629_194628.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 10:46 PM, PineSong said:

Great work, Cinnebuns! Those tails were pretty darn shredded. Those guys are lucky to have you. I hope the previous fishkeeper is able to find a good solution for her overpopulation. 

Yes. Her solution was she gave everything but the betta to me lol. 3 males 3 females and fry. I had told her many months ago that ratio wasn't going to work. Apparently the betta was the larger issue tho. I didn't realize she had a betta with them until I "got the call."

The blue one shocks me how he doesn't seem to be held back from his severe lack of a tail. He doesn't even move strange through the water or anything. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

20220713_205341.jpg

20220713_205507.jpg

I'm not sure who would be best to answer this but I have questions regarding introducing them into the main tank that already has a group of male guppies. Should I wait until they are mostly if not all healed?  Should I slowly reduce the salinity they are in right now rather than throwing them into full freshwater after over 2 weeks of the salt?

i would say they are pretty much healed up. once those big tails get tattered they dont seem to come back. if you are sure the active rot/fungus is taken care of, i myself wouldnt be worried about putting them in with others.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:54 PM, lefty o said:

i would say they are pretty much healed up. once those big tails get tattered they dont seem to come back. if you are sure the active rot/fungus is taken care of, i myself wouldnt be worried about putting them in with others.

No need to acclimate them to freshwater after the salt?  I've never heard of that as a need but I just wanna make sure. I might be over thinking things but I might also introduce them at night when enegery levels are lower. 

I have noticed my oldest male's tail is looking slightly tattered. Idk if the fin rot has spread to others or he's just old but I might keep the tank set up while I monitor that just in case I need it for others now lol

Did you quarantine them and do the med trio as well? What is your salt ratio? I would be more careful with the difference in other parameters. pH, and nitrates being the most important to me. If your salt is less than 2tbsp per 5 gallons you're good to just plop and drop assuming the pH and nitrates are close to the same.

Edited by Minanora
5 gallons not 1!

On 7/13/2022 at 10:59 PM, Cinnebuns said:

No need to acclimate them to freshwater after the salt?  I've never heard of that as a need but I just wanna make sure. I might be over thinking things but I might also introduce them at night when enegery levels are lower. 

I have noticed my oldest male's tail is looking slightly tattered. Idk if the fin rot has spread to others or he's just old but I might keep the tank set up while I monitor that just in case I need it for others now lol

give them a water change then. that will remove some salt, then give them a couple days to adjust.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 9:28 PM, lefty o said:

give them a water change then. that will remove some salt, then give them a couple days to adjust.

I was thinking the same thing as well. If the salinity is higher than, oh oops, I messed up on my post, I meant 2tbsp per 5 gallons... Fixing that in a sec.

But I digress, higher than 2 tbsp per 5 gallons water change 30 percent out a few times and you're golden.

Edited by Minanora
Autocorrect...

On 7/13/2022 at 11:16 PM, Minanora said:

Did you quarantine them and do the med trio as well? What is your salt ratio? I would be more careful with the difference in other parameters. pH, and nitrates being the most important to me. If your salt is less than 2tbsp per 5 gallons you're good to just plop and drop assuming the pH and nitrates are close to the same.

It's until today, it was at the max recommended dose per ACO dosing. I stepped it up each day for 3 days to get there. I figured since guppies do well with salt even without illness it was a good choice. Today I did do a water change mostly because the water is cloudy from using a 3 day feeding tablet because I was gone for 4 days. Took out about 2 gallons and added back in about 2.5 gallons (evaporation).  It's a 5 gallon tank. No salt was added back to this, yet. Math things....

On 7/13/2022 at 11:28 PM, lefty o said:

That's what I did today. Specifics above lol. Per a friend he recommended I keep them in longer so now I'm debating adding salt back. Sigh. Too tired to make decisions right now. 

On 7/13/2022 at 11:48 PM, Minanora said:

I just read the original post. At that rate of salt I'd water change it out gradually. Just to be safe. Sorry for my mess of posts. I'm overly tired and limited on time to look at things right now. Sick kid = frazzled mom.

I get it. I'm still recovering from 4 days out of state dealing with wedding stuff for my brother lol. Thinking is slow at times. 

For reference. The yellow guppy is the one with fin rot. The end of his tail is in this pic. Maybe I take the 3 that were attacked out and keep him in. 

20220713_205341.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:11 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I hope these are the right people to tag haha. @Guppysnail

@lefty o @Minanora

Here is how I’ve had the best luck transitioning guppies from salinity. Though I was lucky the first time and stuck with this so other options may be available or there may be a best practice out there. I’m an on the fly type so often make up what I need out of necessity.  This is what I came up with when I needed to do it.  Slowly start reducing salinity with small water changes. I did 25% 3 days later 25%. Then a week later 40% and a week later 50%. Just before I moved them then I did 50% netted and plopped them in the new tank. No real reason for timing other than give them time to adjust to new salinity and that’s when I could get to WC. 

• Like 2