PFS is actually sharp?

FirstClassFish

I’m taking a sand deep dive and looking for the perfect one for me, or at least to educate myself and know my options and hopefully help others along the way. 

In looking a little beyond the stuff always mentioned, I came across this:

www.diydoctor.org.uk

Different Types of Sand and What They Should be Used for

Learn about all the different types of sand and how each should be used, including what sand actually is and why some are different colours
www.diydoctor.org.uk www.diydoctor.org.uk

It’s mentioned that PFS works because it’s sharp. Most MSDS sheets have it characterized as “sub-angular”. 

Does classifying it as sharp and angular, just mean relatively in this case? Meaning it’s not really all that sharp and fine for all manner of burrowers, bottom dwellers, and sand sifters?

I haven’t seen mention of problems with it other than the rare occasion. 

The article above is interesting, but when I do internet searches using their terms it seems like everyone has a different idea of what should be called what and there’s a lot of overlap. 

I’d like to find the one they mention as River Sand and a few other names. Sounds perfect. 

What characteristics would you say keep a sand from compacting? Is it size, or consistency of size, or the uniformity or lack thereof in the smoothness of the granules. I’ve heard so many things when it comes to that, I have no idea what is true. 

Any other less known options for the perfect sand for a planted tank and bottom dwellers that comes in colors other than mostly solid off whites?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Maybe not something you’re interested in, but we’ve used BDBS in a handful of aquariums.

Virtually all sands are inert, requiring nutrients to be built up, layered in underneath, or added for positive plant growth. I think BDBS tends not to compact as much as some other types do. My favorite tanks I have use a 2-inch layer of BDBS with a 1-inch cap of either Eco-Complete, Activ-flora, or Carib-Sea Planted Substrate.

I think Cory may have observed before that bright white and flat black sands both suffer from the unsightliness of waste building up over time. 

This this long and most of you with skip it. It’s pretty informative  it probably won’t solve your problem.
The is may or many not help you but I tell you guys anyway. I managed grass for years, gold courses, sports fields and the most challenging polo fields. Most people don’t know this but sand is and important part of this. If and of you hold and have played after they punched holes in the greens those are filled with sand. There are more types of sand that you can think of. The reason is they custom blend sands many projects. Organic matter can be added. If you have 5 mins google how to build  USGA golf green., it’s a science. They are build with sand and a peat mix normally,a 80/20 mix, they can change the % for the area. They add different sands to make your exact sand.  Now as far as us hobbyist there is a lot less options for most of us but’s  if you know or want to figure out what you might want do some of the most basic research just so you can understand they these when you talk to an aggregate company. Don’t be up set if they blow you off because even places that buy truck loads are small compared to putting and 1” of sand down over 150 acres  a few times a year. Will find some.If it’s important you get the right sand. There is one small little issue is they may want to blend you 30 tons. Im joking and not. They won’t make you 50# but a lot of aggregate companies have blends made already if your not ready for 30 tons. I personally don’t like sand in my aquariums although at times it might spilling hairs because I do use a very course sand that most people would say is fine gravel. I like the look of sand especially black when new.  Now you have this new info I like @Fish Folkidea better sand is hard to keep clean. Know that there are lots of you that have not issues with it. This a problem that almost never gets talked about and that is that layer of what most people say is algae about 1/4” or deep that looks like black layers building up against the the glass and is worst with finer sand. Now there are times this if it green it’s algae. The black layer you can normally find when vacuum(which will prevent this) or when change sand out and that sulfur smell and black sand. That black sand(in white sand) is an bacteria that grow without oxygen. It gives off hydrogen Suilfide. 

I have either pool filter sand or Black Diamond Blasting sand (depending on what color I wanted) in all 8 of my tanks, and like both.  The newest has a 1" thick layer of cow manure on bottom, then a 1" layer of potting soil, and then 2" of pool filter sand.  The plants in it are doing very well.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:04 AM, FirstClassFish said:

What characteristics would you say keep a sand from compacting? Is it size, or consistency of size, or the uniformity or lack thereof in the smoothness of the granules. I’ve heard so many things when it comes to that, I have no idea what is true. 

Any other less known options for the perfect sand for a planted tank and bottom dwellers that comes in colors other than mostly solid off whites?

Thanks!

Plant roots and Malaysian trumpet snails will take care of that.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

The problem is pool filter sand varies by a lot. There could easily be 50 different sands being used. One time I bought one that had ground up plastic in it as well. Not a big fan of finer sands, but coarser sands are nice.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, Cory said:

The problem is pool filter sand varies by a lot. There could easily be 50 different sands being used. One time I bought one that had ground up plastic in it as well. Not a big fan of finer sands, but coarser sands are nice.

@Cory any thoughts on this thread?

I think it would help a number of us out. Appears very similar to PFS, although not usually marketed that way. You have experience with it so maybe you can clear some things up about the grading and composition. 

Thanks 

Risk and Rewards.  I use a lot of UGFilters with power heads so sand isn’t an option in those tanks.  I also run HOB and/or canister filters and if ever had one running that had picked up sand and now is grinding and ruining the impeller you know why I don’t use them on those tanks.  Also if you get the tiniest piece under a mag float or a scotch brite pad while cleaning the glass.  Game over - scratches.  Some plants have a hard time getting a good root base established in sand.   I guess I’m just not a fan.   

• Like 1