Panda Garra, Bristle Nose, Oto, or something else…

Root

Hello all! 

I am in the market for an algae eater. I am leaning towards the three listed in the title or perhaps something else. I am not looking for something to combat algae just feel one of these guys is missing in my setup. 

I currently have a 20-gallon tall that is heavily planted with Dwarf Sag, dwarf baby tears, and pogo. 

- I use a CoOp 20-gallon sponge filter 

- keep the temp at 76-78

- Have slightly harder water

I have endlers and red cherry shrimp that are thriving and breeding to no end. So much so that I am going to have to drop a bunch off at the LFS soon. 😔😆

I would either want a single Pleco or a small school of the other guys. 

I like the BN Pleco, but I am worried he would uproot plants. Also, would a 20-gallon be ok?

I love the panda Garra, but from what I have read they like high currents and I wonder if a sponge filter would be enough

And even though the Oto is a classic, I am on the fence because of the other two species.

Which one would you suggest? 

Edited by Paul R
Left out ?
  • Love 1

On 6/14/2022 at 9:27 PM, Paul R said:

Hello all! 

I am in the market for an algae eater. I am leaning towards the three listed in the title or perhaps something else. I am not looking for something to combat algae just feel one of these guys is missing in my setup. 

I currently have a 20-gallon tall that is heavily planted with Dwarf Sag, dwarf baby tears, and pogo. 

- I use a CoOp 20-gallon sponge filter 

- keep the temp at 76-78

- Have slightly harder water

I have endlers and red cherry shrimp that are thriving and breeding to no end. So much so that I am going to have to drop a bunch off at the LFS soon. 😔😆

I would either want a single Pleco or a small school of the other guys. 

I like the BN Pleco, but I am worried he would uproot plants. Also, would a 20-gallon be ok?

I love the panda Garra, but from what I have read they like high currents and I wonder if a sponge filter would be enough

And even though the Oto is a classic, I am on the fence because of the other two species.

Which one would you suggest? 

If you don’t have an algae problem I’d try a bristle nose.  Then again I know next to nothing about the panda garra.  Ottos are cute, but can be tricky once you run outta algae, hence I have not tried them.   

• Thanks 1

I think you're correct in your hesitations, plecos need large spaces and panda garra like high flow, so I dont think a sponge filter would suffice. Otos also like to be in groups, so a 20 would maybe be too small as well.

Have you considered pygmy corydora? Visually pretty similar to an oto... just smaller! Very charming as well and would be great in a smaller tank.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:27 PM, Paul R said:

Very likely temp is an issue, I'd have to double check

What type of plants specifically? I don't think anything you mentioned will be an issue. Adding a cave for the pleco will pretty much diffuse everything you're mentioning.

It depends where you want the algae removed from. Otos are better at certain things like going into the hardscape or cleaning certain type of plant leaves.  I don't know if I'd call them "good" at cleaning glass.

I kept garras with goldfish and panda garras in the community highly recommend. 

I didn't have a particularly strong current and they did fine and lived years. They are larger than ottos but aren't a problem to feed as they rushed out for dried food along with everyone else. 

I had an internal filter with garras for awhile and they used to sit behind it and on it behind the flow so I think good water movement and oxygenation is probably the key.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:30 PM, Paul R said:

@nabokovfan87 the main ones I am concerned about are my dwarf sag, dwarf baby tears, and pogo. Also, not looking to get one for algae removal even though it would be appreciated, but simply because I would like to have one in the tank. 

If everything is rooted I have not seen bristlenose uproot plants like that. In terms of seeing them out and about, I feel you would see the ottos a lot more than the pleco. Personally, I like bristlenose because they are so easy to breed, but space might be tight on your 20.