(CFI) C.A.R.E. FORUM INVESTIGATES - N.E.R.M. Syndrome (*an explanation)

DaveSamsell

When @Cory, termed the phrase 'NERM' awhile back, it may have been out of his subconscious genius.

I consider myself, a self-proclaimed 'NERM' & have drawn a few conclusions, of which, some even may be valid.  

Why do people keep aquariums?  IMO, It's an extension of nature into their homes for enjoyment & furthering life itself.

If you look at the 'term' 'NERM'; is it just a word or even more; perhaps an acronym.  

For everyone, the word, term, phrase, acronym or # 'NERM' may indeed mean something very different and often times very personal to each individual, in their relationship with the hobby.

For me:  I classify the N.E.R.M. as an acronym, using each beginning letter, as follows:

N.E.R.M.

Natural  Environment   Respective   Mentality      

Be a good Aquarist, be a NERM, today.  

• Like 6

N.E.R.M = Never Enough Research Mindset

It means to me to always be questioning, even when you think you're right or have the answer. Research all sides of a problem, issue, or question. Play devil's advocate, drop your biases, and stay curious. A lot of things are grey instead of black or white. Sometimes the rabbit holes you'll venture down will lead to unintended insights and knowledge that you wouldn't have gained by just accepting something as fact and at the very least you will most certainly know more about why that is a fact. And don't just research, but apply your research and learn from that. You see how that can be an endless cycle of research, apply, learn. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Aubrey said:

N.E.R.M = Never Enough Research Mindset

It means to me to always be questioning, even when you think you're right or have the answer. Research all sides of a problem, issue, or question. Play devil's advocate, drop your biases, and stay curious. A lot of things are grey instead of black or white. Sometimes the rabbit holes you'll venture down will lead to unintended insights and knowledge that you wouldn't have gained by just accepting something as fact and at the very least you will most certainly know more about why that is a fact. And don't just research, but apply your research and learn from that. You see how that can be an endless cycle of research, apply, learn. 

I was watching a video the other day and @Cory used the word nerm so many times.  I've heard him use it so much, but finally like, I got to figure out this word.  Was getting ready to search, and then bam, this was here!   LOL.

Dissenting again... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Urban Dictionary shows the term Nerm has existed before the infamous live stream, but hopefully within our little pocket of a community we can agree on an objective definition for it. Just my $0.02, feel free to ignore me lol.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1

@aquachrisit's a made up word from a livestream when Cory misspoke trying to say "nerd" and "normal" while explaining a person who in all aspects seems normal, but is indeed a surprisingly big fish nerd. I didn't mean to hijack @DaveSamsell's post or try to assert my thoughts over his. I only wished to continue to ponder and pontificate on this accidental term and it's meaning.

8 hours ago, Ken Burke said:

All good inputs.  Of course I really would like to figure out a mathematical formula for #STT.  😄

Everyone will always have opinions.  That's what makes the Forum interesting.  BTW, You sparked some ideas for me regarding:  #STT.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DaveSamsell said:

Everyone will always have opinions.  That's what makes the Forum interesting.  BTW, You sparked some ideas for me regarding:  #STT.  😉

Me too.  I’m thinking there are 4 factors potentially impacting a tanks seasoning: bio-filtration, livestock, hardscape, aquascape.  The formula would need to account for all these as it relates to time, 

• Like 1