Do you turn your filter off when you feed the fish

Flumpweesel

I have a fluval 306 and I don't normally turn it off when I feed but I have recently moved things around a bit and the flow has increased significantly (took over a metre of the pipework). And now I wonder what's best most of my fish are mid and bottom feeding and I rather they had chance to fill there tummies before I fill my canister.

What does everyone else do?

I feed on the opposite side of the tank from the filter output. But with bottom feeders it probably is not a real issue. My non bottom feeders will feed off the bottom also so that helps too. 

The problem I see is if you turn it off you might forget to turn it back on. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Like 1

Because of the skimmer, when feeding floating food. Yes.  It's very common for me for the food to literally go right into the intake.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

The problem I see is if you turn it off you might forget to turn it back on. 

Kasa/TP-Link wifi Outlets.  Timer function is awesome for this.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

you might forget to turn it back on. 

Yep that's thing. 

On 6/12/2022 at 5:55 AM, Cinnebuns said:

feeder rings

Might see what happens when I try these I have plenty of spare airline tubing I can play with

On 6/12/2022 at 6:31 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Kasa/TP-Link wifi Outlets

Interesting

• Like 1

I think each person-fish-aquarium is different.   Also I never start and stop HOB and Canister filters just for feeding.  I have turned air down on fry tanks.  Never off.   If you ever forget to turn it back on you will be very upset with yourself.  
Good Luck 

• Like 1

I unplug my powerhead when feeding my main tank. I like that it signals to the fish that it’s feeding time, and of course it keeps the food from blowing around. I also like to leave the powerhead off for an hour or so just to give the fish a different environment to swim in.

I frequently forget to plug it back in, BUT I have an air stone running at all times so it’s never a disaster. My tank is also very lightly stocked so it doesn’t solely depend on the filter for processing ammonia. The filter’s mostly there for mechanical filtration.

I have two tanks. On my 40gb with an Aquaclear 110, I turn it to the lowest setting. This allows the food to stay on top for a bit and as it sinks, it can land on the bottom for the corydoras. If it's on the high setting, it looks like a snow globe and most of the food gets sucked onto the filter. When the water flow changes, the fish know it's time to eat.

On my 10 gallon, I unplug my dual sponge filter, as it's output is near the top and spreads across the the top of the tank. This gives it's inhabitants time to surface eat before it's sinking to the bottom. I do however, leave the airstones going. 

Edited by BradleyH20

• 3 weeks later...