Anubias Appreciation

On 6/8/2022 at 11:33 AM, Its Hutch said:

This is a post to really appreciate anubias. The fact that such a beautiful plant can be so low maintenance, easy to care for and flowers occasionally truly deserves praise.

Post your pics and praise for Anubias!

Hi @Its Hutch

Totally agree, one of the most tolerate plants of even marginal conditions.  One of my favorites I've had over 10 years is Anubias barteri nana 'Micro' that I picked up on one of the planted forums.  I only saw it offered once or twice and I picked it up and have been growing it ever since.   See the dime in the photo below?  The Corydoras is one not often seen, C. atropersonatus.  BTW, the substrate is Safe-t-sorb unrinsed.  -Roy

949728978_2022-02-0345GallonMklasioensisCatropersonatusCroppedSnSm.jpg.3def89dc2e660b5bf21bae99c211143b.jpg

• Love 3

On 6/8/2022 at 3:28 PM, Odd Duck said:

That’s my big concern.  I’m not sure the plants are grown in enough to provide decent cover at this point.  They might survive if I release them at night, but I’m thinking I’ll wait until the plants have grown more.  Might go with green Neocaridinas so they’re unobtrusive and not worry too much about the angels eating the small ones if enough can survive.

A heavy moss growth and a shrimp cave/ some cholla (yes, we saw cholla naturally washed into rivers while there after monsoon rains), and adding to the tank after a heavy feeding and they have full bellies (or feed on one end, and use a tube or your hands to get the amanos down to safe hiding on the other end) and the angels will *usually* leave them alone.

Usually.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:40 PM, Katherine said:

Here's my anubias nana petite, around the cave at the right side of the tank.

an2_20220531_194054.jpg.2108d8a169ede8745134e35ffbcbba65.jpg

And here is it previously in my old 10 gallon setup.

PXL_20220403_204008287.jpg.c0a21b3d1237e916a0490f29267c0423.jpg

It's 4 or 5 different plants, which have not done equally well. I think I want to take some and move it to the large rock thing on the left side of the tank, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Or you can just buy more! 

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2022 at 8:53 PM, Torrey said:

A heavy moss growth and a shrimp cave/ some cholla (yes, we saw cholla naturally washed into rivers while there after monsoon rains), and adding to the tank after a heavy feeding and they have full bellies (or feed on one end, and use a tube or your hands to get the amanos down to safe hiding on the other end) and the angels will *usually* leave them alone.

Usually.

I have some ceramic maple leaf caves that I thought the plecos and cories might like, but they’re a bit too flat, I think.  The baby plecos might use them.  I have those “leaves” under the wood at the left end and it’s where I want the amanos to set to work.  There’s a bit of algae on the wood that I don’t want to overtake the Fissidens moss I’m trying to grow there.

• Like 1

I love Anubias! I want to collect all the varieties. Currently, I only have one, which I think is regular Nana. It came with a used tank I bought, just sitting in a half-full aquarium with no light or heat for who knows how long. It's at least doubled in size in the last year, though it's got a lot of algae. I'm might propagate it & spread it out into other tanks, see if it does better.

• Like 2