On 6/24/2023 at 5:41 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My Octopus Teacher

Feels like if Steve Irwin was around today.... this would be his style.  I love that this guy is so curious and working so hard to "be the fish".  The pajama sharks look awesome and it's in the kelp forest.

I like the quote he gives at the beginning. 

"Animals are extremely exotic and strange. It's like, much more extreme than our maddest science fiction.  I remember that day when it all started..."

On 6/30/2023 at 6:48 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I believe this was filmed in Alaska?

Nope!  It's right by all of those jumping great white sharks.

In 2018, Craig Foster began free-diving in a cold underwater kelp forest at a remote location in False Bay, near Cape Town, South Africa. The location was near Simon's Town on the Cape Peninsula, which is exposed to the cold Benguela current of the Atlantic Ocean

Maintenance on the betta tank. And I accidentally sucked up a juvenile shrimp?!?  I figured when I moved that sponge filter over to his tank that there could be some shrimplets in there. So, that little guy has survived all this time. Maybe 2 months or something? He’s kind of clearish. When I added him back to the tank, he was wandering around. Geppetto spotted him and was stalking him. Geppetto went in for the bite and ZOOOOMMM!  The shrimp is SUUUUPER FAST! All the way across the tank; his speed was no match for Geppetto. And the shrimp knew right where to go; he tucked himself into the sponge filter. Almost immediately Geppetto lost interest.

Also there are, sorry, were, two mosquito larvae in there. Gross. Now there is one. Guess what happened to the other?

Geppetto’s been circling around and scanning the bottom. But I put some hornwort in there so he might decide to make a bubble nest, and that will give the shrimp some time to get some food. Plenty of algae in there for the shrimp. I put a VERY small piece of wondershell so the little guy has some calcium. I don’t use Wondershell too much anymore because I think some people mentioned a negative impact on shrimp? That’s why I went with just a sliver today.

8BCEE056-C7BB-433B-9CF0-EDAF3135F338.jpeg

ACCD92A7-96EF-4A3B-A920-CC76A43605F7.jpeg

Hmm actually.. this shrimp I took a picture of.. I don’t think it’s the same shrimp. I saw a sand colored shrimp. So two shrimp are in there (at least)?

Geppetto doesn’t like to go near the filter. He doesn’t like the bubbles. But shrimp love sponge filters. It apparently has been working out.

@Guppysnail

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1

On 7/4/2023 at 4:38 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Geppetto doesn’t like to go near the filter. He doesn’t like the bubbles.

More like he is jelly of the bubbles the filter has in comparison to his tiny nest 🤣

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2023 at 6:38 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Geppetto doesn’t like to go near the filter. He doesn’t like the bubbles. But shrimp love sponge filters. It apparently has been working out.

Uplift tube or does that disturb nthe surface too much for the bubble nest?

The shrimp will be good with him. They will definitely learn there is a predator around.

• Like 1

omg 😱 !!!!!!!!!!!

This morning.. a cockroach was in my aquarium! I did not sign up for this 💩!

It was on the surface just chilling amongst the hornwort. I netted it.. with the longest handled net I have, so as to keep my distance from the wretched thing.. and then it started crawling and I gave the net to my husband and had him deal with it. 
Me:

9188301A-6FA7-4433-852B-60C947D083EE.gif.4a676b9ec4a33e1e21460ebe93c2a4d7.gif

• Sad 1

2 juvenile shrimps confirmed in Geppetto’s tank. They are enjoying the hornwort that was recently added. Does he really not notice? Or does he just not care?

B455F7E5-1BD5-4B7C-9CAD-D791A8E26366.jpeg.c8458c011315a820300b866901799c54.jpeg

5041FAFF-F0BA-4F37-B489-EF469B8B92B1.jpeg.e1825a2663ae9b484cb9003cfb0aaa70.jpeg

C24742DD-2390-4E76-945A-33133FE211D8.jpeg.d62943792b4fe12bbbcf7054bb21cfa4.jpeg

Pest control is coming to treat inside the home today. I cannot be home but asked my husband to instruct them to use bait instead of spray. All the tanks are covered with towels just in case, but I didn’t have time to stow away all the nets, siphons, etc because I was running late.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 5:38 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Pest control is coming to treat inside the home today. I cannot be home but asked my husband to instruct them to use bait instead of spray. All the tanks are covered with towels just in case, but I didn’t have time to stow away all the nets, siphons, etc because I was running late.

Crossing my fingers. I would fill up the tub or shower or something and rinse everything if you need to.

Hopefully no issues, but given the sensitivity of these guys maybe the added wash is prudent!

Very cool to see Geppetto with some new friends.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 8:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I see hydra...... Run!!!!!

Very funny when both the fish darted after whatever they saw. 😂

I couldn’t resist adding the sound effect ☺️

Hydra has never caused a problem in my tanks. I think it’s cool, actually. It’s green so it’s eating algae and stuff.

• Like 1