Super red bristlenose poppin off and how much to sell juveniles for?

Kieflow

On 6/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, Kieflow said:

What do y’all think is an appropriate amount to ask for 1-2” plecos when selling to a local pet store?

If it's your first time, it will likely be less than you think. You're building a relationship with the store as well. Something Dean has said in his video was that if it was his first time, to give a good impression on the store he didn't ask for anything. Simply said, "let me know if they do well for you and then we can discuss more."

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

Fish prices vary wildly around the country. I've seen some places where Super Reds sell for under $5 each. Around here they're more often in the $30-$40 range when you can find them. If your LFS has any in stock, see what they're selling them for and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on what Super Reds sell for near you. If the store sells them for $30-$40 they made out like a bandit buying them at $7. Stop back by your local store and see what they're selling them for. I'm betting it'll be a lot more than $7.

In my area for that size, super reds are about $10 - $15. So getting around $5 or maybe even less is realistic. I did some regular chocolate plecos and I got $3 a piece. If you grow them bigger you can get more money but they sure do take their sweet time to get longer. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Kieflow said:

Wow y’all making me feel like I ripped the pet store off, they bought several for $7 a pleco! 

Very market driven.  My lfs gives me about 50% of retail unless they already have plenty in stock.  I normally take what the give me, but when I sold my red sailfin corydoras I explained my costs and they agreed to a higher price.  I then followed through to make sure they could move them.  

If the your lfs was willing to pay $7 it was a fair exchange.  Just follow up and adjust your price accordingly 

• Thanks 1