You guys see the "carrot confetti"?  The aftermath of her and her friends' carrot banquet yesterday. I see at least 4 spots in that last photo... 🥕

Also, I've prepared as best I can for the upcoming hurricane. I have 2 power banks and nano air pumps to run my sponge filters.  Probably will gang valve the QT tote and the 10g together because I've got 2 power banks but 3 tanks.  Worse comes to worst I have D-cell air pumps but those are REALLY LOUD!  And if we lose power, I do NOT want those things to be the only sound in the house.  UGH!

Hurricanes are routine though.  Just get your booze and your peanut butter (no refrigeration needed) and you're all set.  Oh and some people think they need to line up for hours to get bottled water, which, you can get from the tap now, or as I do, from the fridge dispenser because it's filtered (so fancy!).  & just fill up whatever containers you have.  Plus fill up the bathtub.  Awhile back I bought some Life Straws too.  Never had a reason to use 'em yet, but hey.  I like contingency.

Someone on another thread said they got a number of days off of a nano pump on a 20,000mAh power bank.  Hopefully that's the case, but also I'm hoping not to be out of power that long.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeaPlease keep us posted … wishing you the best  been through 2 hurricane when i lived in NC for 22 years. and  a old fashion hand can opener  and matches  helped allot with lots of can food worked  with no electric or gas   Load up on the water ,, it is hard to find afterwards 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

Thanks @Bev C and @Guppysnail.
If I go dark for a few days on here it’s because the power and internet went out. Very common. 

Yesterday I got some more canned goods. Some of the Campbell’s Chunky Soups and Spaghetti o’s and canned chicken (the tuna was sold out). These things are ready to eat and have the pull tab on the lid. We also have some snacks and some canned corned beef, canned vegetables, and extra cat food for the little furry friends. I have an NOAA emergency radio. It is battery powered OR wind up OR solar. Multiple ways to get it charged. 

I plan to do a water change on all the tanks today. Maybe I will fill my water change buckets up for later? In case we get any warnings about our tap water.

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea it sounds like a good plan. yes when you have no electric or gas  easy can foods and   a small outdoor fire  or a camping stove will be your cook stove and heat.  ( the camp stove and camping gear very handy a long with flashlight and batteries  )  we used sleeping bags and blankets for extra warmth   

we went 2 -3 weeks no electric Hurricane Fran  it was a stage 3 hurricane best wishes stay safe  will keep you in my prayers 

Edited by Bev C
  • Thanks 1

Hey gang. Storm is right over us. Seems ok. Windy, sure, but not house rattling or anything. I can just hear it blowing through the trees. Very relaxing rain to sleep to. I love sleeping during rain.

Lost power and immediately regained it 6 times so sleep has been interrupted quite a bit as gadgets make their noises. I know this because my security system sends me texts every time it goes onto its backup battery. The aquariums are hooked to a nice size CyberPower UPS, so they shouldn’t have been affected at all.

We are getting super drenched as this is a slow-moving storm. If this is all it does, this is OK with us.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Well, after all those power blips, I couldn’t sleep anymore. It’s still clicking on and off every half hour or so.  Internet seems ok but none of the streaming services are working on the tv. I don’t feel like troubleshooting it; it’s too early. So I’ve been watching cable. Just a bit of news, then I changed the channel. Purple Rain was just starting. Got about 45 minutes into it and then poof. Cable went out. Booooo… Called my brother and chatted for a bit. He’s a night shift trucker. 

Conditions still the same. Lot of wind, lot of rain. Nothing that is worrisome. 

• Like 2

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea so happy to hear that the storm is not as bad for you as expected ,, less is way better ,,,  i heard it hit more in Fort Myers then Tampa  as they was predicting   just be careful with the rain and flooding  it is a good time to snuggle on couch and binge watch and snack out ..if you still have electric ..

you take care and keep us posted it will be a rough ride at times when we went through Fran we could not take out ..our 4 dachshund out for 3 days we set up up new paper (there was no puppy pads  out then )   we set up newspaper in the extra tub and had them potty there all 4 was scared and we had to add extra snuggle time and put them under blankets   blankets help block some of the noise and thunder and lightning 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi guys 👋 

im sitting in a long drive thru line and hey! They got wifi! All is well at home but no internet. I spent 3 hours picking up sticks and branches in A PORTION OF my yard today. Fun! Lol

No big trees down. just little stuff everywhere 

1C9CDC2C-2834-4904-B09F-2A1F00E16D7C.jpeg

The neighborhood though- plenty of trees fell. 😳

• Like 3

There’s a bit of salt in qt now and I can’t help but think about how fun it would be to hatch nerites. I wonder what colors they’d produce. But I am sure both my nerites are male. Neither lay any eggs. One time York was bedazzled and I thought they were nerite eggs, but they were limpets. I am not sure why limpets like to ride around on snail shells. 🤷🏻‍♀️ There are plenty of other places to be that actually have some algae to eat. Also it’s kind of interesting how my olive nerite (Button) loves the food dish, but my zebra nerite (Hampshire) could care less. @Guppysnail, with all of those nerites you have, how do you keep them all fed? Don’t most of them ignore food?

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 10:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

There’s a bit of salt in qt now and I can’t help but think about how fun it would be to hatch nerites. I wonder what colors they’d produce. But I am sure both my nerites are male. Neither lay any eggs. One time York was bedazzled and I thought they were nerite eggs, but they were limpets. I am not sure why limpets like to ride around on snail shells. 🤷🏻‍♀️ There are plenty of other places to be that actually have some algae to eat. Also it’s kind of interesting how my olive nerite (Button) loves the food dish, but my zebra nerite (Hampshire) could care less. @Guppysnail, with all of those nerites you have, how do you keep them all fed? Don’t most of them ignore food?

My black racers do. Everyone else has begun nibbling on veggies. I never wipe glass. Only 1x a month the front gets a wipe. So a constant run of biofilm. They are all active and growing. I had tons of glass algae before adding them. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 8:15 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yep @Guppysnail see my algae? Algae=snacks

Algae is a personal preference thing. Depends on how you see it. Some see it as an eyesore. I see it as self replicating food that I don’t have to buy that cleans the water while it waits to be eaten 🤣

edut…and free tank decor 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

Algae is a personal preference thing. Depends on how you see it. Some see it as an eyesore. I see it as self replicating food that I don’t have to buy that cleans the water while it waits to be eaten 🤣

edut…and free tank decor 

I view it as “stuff I don’t feel like cleaning”

(and snail snacks.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1